Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

What to do with a 10 year old dSLR

:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
After 10 years, I've decided it's time to update my camera body. There have been enough advances in terms of image size, resolution and noise reduction that it's finally worth upgrading my gear.

So, I've taken the plunge and opted to take advantage of sale on the Canon EOS 7D.

Now, the question is, what do I do with my old EOS 10D? It's still in excellent shape and probably has years worth of service ahead, but when you can get a new 7D for $1100 and I think even used it's probably not possible to sell one with the newer cameras on sale. I looked a few years back and used 10Ds were going for $300 tops.

I suppose, I could keep it as a back up, but between my lenses and tripod, I've got 30# of gear to lug with me when I go out.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Get an IR conversion done on it? That's the first thing I'm going to do when my current "lightbox" has run it's course!
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Simple. Use it as a backup camera.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well perhaps you can adapt it to make IR photography ^^
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Hmm, I really like that idea. I have to admit, that I'm a bit embarrassed that this didn't occur to me. I assume that I'll have to remove the filter that Canon installed to block out the IR.
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There are some websites providing tutorials for camera conversions, you should check this website for example [link] =)
I'm quite sure you can also find some help with IR photographer on DA there are several groups of IR photography :iconr72: :iconinfrared-club:
:iconblepfo:
blepfo Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Photographer
^What I would do :)
:iconyenneferx:
Yenneferx Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I've just want to write the same:) I read yesterday an article about IR photography, and they wrote that the best when you have old camera and can rebuilt it (no IR-stop filter) :)
I've read the same =D
In fact it's a little bit more complicated than just remove the IR filter in front of the captor :p
But still be a nice idea to give a second life to an old camera :la:
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Exactly what I was going to suggest too! :dance:
:thumbsup: :la:
Add a Comment: