Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

Anyone hate editing particular subjects?

:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Photographer
I'm having a hard time finishing this shoot I did a couple of weeks ago.. I'm almost finished but it's so hard to push through! I find this only happens when it's a 'people' shoot. Pets, horse shows, concerts? Those are all up in 2-3 days regardless of photo count. I will sit at the computer for hours on end editing the projects I love. People portraits are just so tedious to me; like watching paint dry.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlive-inthemoment:
Live-InTheMoment Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Photographer
I'm not a fan of editing people, unless its a shot of me, since I already know what I want. Anyone else, is just a sheer nightmare to me. =/
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Photographer
Yesss. I've never had anyone get mad over it but for some reason it still makes me paranoid to do it.
:iconravyns-photography:
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
I hate editing events. Seriously. I love going to events and shooting the goings-on (I predominantly shoot runways), but the after process /kills/ me. :lol: I don't mind it if the fashion show is well lit, and the lighting is done well, but most of the time here I struggle because it's so dark!
:iconposeidonsimons:
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
not subject but i find it hair-ripping when I have dust on my lens or sensor. And especially if the dust specks are on top of power lines
AGH
things are wosre considering that in cyprus I CAN'T FIND ANY PROFESSIONAL WHO CLEANS CAMERA CENSORS!!!
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Have you tried any of the DIY kits for cleaning sensors?
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
I am honestly afraid to try
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
It isn't that hard. Just don't scrub and be sure to get any grit off before you rub anything.
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
scrub? I thought we aren't supposed to touch the sensor?
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
You use a pec pad to clean the sensor. They are very soft. Use minimal pressure and let the solvent do the work, don't scrub at it.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I don't understand. Are you complaining that the dust specks are ruining your photos of power lines? Most of us are trying like hell not to get any power lines in our photos.
no Im comnplaining about dust specks in geenral,but they are even more abbo0ying when they are on power lines and I have to clean them up with the power line slooking untouched. Powerlines not being the main subject, but I photograph views outside windiws when I photograph apartments and those are always present
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
Yeah I could see powerlines being a massive pain. Here's a youtube video that might help you though :) [link]
thanks!
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Moiré. I hate shooting clothing.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I find this only happens when it's a 'people' shoot. [...] People portraits are just so tedious to me; like watching paint dry.

For your consideration: [link] ... it's just a small segment of the video, but it might change the way you go about shooting in order to reduce the 'boring' Photoshop edits.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Photographer
It's not so much lighting, white balance, effects etc... Bad skin is bad skin is bad skin, you'll never get rid of that in a camera and nobody wants that on their newborn shots.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
There are all kinds of ways of hiding bad skin in camera, with makeup, and so on. If you are shooting in b&w, for example, you can use a grainy film (hides coarse skin texture), use an orange or red filter (hides pimples, freckles and scars), or even use infrared film (shoots the layer just beneath the skin surface). Then there is always makeup. There are even some rather more complicated things you can do to get rid of things like stretch marks, moles, warts, birth marks and cellulite.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Photographer
makeup isn't going to hide flaky dry skin. I've worked with makeup a lot, I know how useful is can be but when there's a kid involved I'm not gonna go slap foundation all over it - but as I've said, I'm not shooting babies anymore... now I'll just have to pray adults and teens don't do horrible makeup - but that's still easier to fix than an entire baby by time you fix the texture, tones and even the skin all together... Just ain't my cup of tea.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Tell that to the guys who make up corpses and actors. Makeup will hide just about anything.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Photographer
-facepalm- This isn't a debate about makeup. A dead person is still going to look dead, you can put as much blush on Kiersten Stewart as you want and she's still going to look emotionless. It can lessen the appearance of scars and bumps and "imperfections" but that doesn't make them not be there.

I'm not even sure why you're even talking about makeup because the skin issue was about a :pointr: BABY :pointl: whose mother failed at putting lotion on it I guess even though she knew the shoot was happening way in advance.

Makeup is fucking amazing and some MUA's should go have illusionist shows in Vegas, but it is not a miracle maker and ANY makeup artist will tell you that.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
We are talking about it because you made the sweeping (and entirely incorrect) statement that "Bad skin is bad skin is bad skin, you'll never get rid of that in a camera ...". I know this to be untrue, because I have done it, many times. Between my MUA and myself I have also gotten rid of scars, birthmarks, cellulite, stretch marks, pimples, bad tattoos, and other problems. Yeah, some of those things are a lot of work, but it absolutely can be done.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Photographer
You don't get rid of them - you mask them.
(1 Reply)
Well bad skin is obviously just one example. But do you understand what she's getting at? Granted, she does wedding photography (mainly), so it's a little easier to get people who are very pretty and looking fabulous, but she also does a lot of candid shoots using only film.

Bad skin is bad skin is bad skin [...] nobody wants that on their newborn shots.

Most newborns look ugly as hell anyway (my opinion). I know for a fact most parents have photos of their child(ren) with food smeared all around their mouth and face, which I think is disgusting. So I am surprised what people seem to like.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Photographer
Agreed, they are - but that doesn't stop them from breaking out and getting dry peeling skin. That's still going to take time in photoshop to get rid of. When I was researching newborn photography I was kind of surprised by how much they photoshop these babies. It's crazy and that's why I won't offer it anymore. Once was enough!
:iconcoreyeacret:
CoreyEacret Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Macro... working on an image of your own fingertip that frankly looks weird, disgusting, and creepy, yeah that was an odd 15 minutes getting the settings right on that one...
:iconcassandra-heatley:
cassandra-heatley Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but editing away bars and glass reflections from zoo shots is the bane of my life! Ofc it's easier to get rid of the problem during the shooting but when you have an excellent image and a bar across a key feature it frustrates me to no end :c
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Cutting out frizzy hair is my ultimate bane. It NEVER quite looks right even after hours of work. (Although refine edge has really made it better in the last couple years)

Also fashion skin retouching where the goal is to make perfect skin but maintain the skin texture. It isn't all that hard but it takes freaking FOREVER.

I also hate having to fix creases in the neck. I always find that because the neck tends to be in shadow and right beside the jaw line that the healing brush tool hasn't the slightest clue what to do so it leads to a lot of manual work

Oh and finally, fly away hairs. I don't mind the odd one but when the entire head is completely surrounded by them I die a little inside.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Photographer
omg yes fly aways. People don't know what the heck hairspray and gel are.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Wedding group shots... Editing along with taking them...
I would never ever ever ever ever ever be a wedding photographer. I could not imagine the pressure.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
See, the pressure I like... taking photos of 'board rigid' people in family groups isn't fun :(
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I've done it twice. Never again. When someone asks me for advice on wedding photography now I give them a link to the French Foreign Legion.
:iconroboffin:
Roboffin Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Nose hair and monobrows.
It's not that they're difficult, they just make me feel a little ill.
You'd think if someone was going to come in to take their picture a little personal grooming might be the way forward.

Incidentally this isn't about any of the models I've worked with, just the corporate shoots I've done.
Model turning up with unruly nose hair...
Ick!
HAHAHAHAHAHA I've had, while working as a make up artist, models show up with god awful unattended eyebrows, chipped nail polish, etc. You would think that they might take everything into consideration but nope - they just want to sit there and look pretty. It's frustrating when the photogs and the MUAs and hair stylists are working their butts off trying to get a polished photo and here comes Chewbacca. However, I haven't had to deal with this problem as a photographer yet.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Restoring old photos is pure tedium and two hours of it will leave you a nervous wreck. My parents have boxes of old photos and some of them have been folded, have fly specks, are faded and so on and some of these things date back to the 20s. Only way to fix them is one pixel at a time.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The sources are so inconsistent and so many different techniques for the various messes that they get into. I don't mind doing one or two every so often when asked but they are bloody nightmare and you're glad to see the back of them when you're done. Spend most of the time cursing the people who let their photos get into such a state in the first place, LOL!

My mother-in-law was the worst, she went through a mental phase of cutting out people she didn't like so when my wife found all the old photos she had to match a stack of heads and bodies back to their source photos before she could start scanning them.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Most of the ones we have are not bad, but there are an awful lot of them and there are enough that something happened to to keep me busy.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Photographer
I repaired one once for my mom. I was nit picky enough about it and it was a small photo. I couldn't see myself offering that service! That could be nerve-wracking, being trusted with such precious piece of history.
I would hate to do it as a service, mainly because most people don't have a clue. Any image I've ever been given to edit something out or change has been a low-res photo that's basically neigh on impossible to adjust or look better. This would then cause me to put in less effort and adopt the attitude have the attitude "Oh sod it, the photo sucks anyway, and it's a small crappy one - they're not going to care much anyway"
The last two I did were 8x10s and each had been folded into quarters, cracking the emulsion. There were also a bunch of little spiderweb cracks running through them. All of those had to be filled in and each one took almost a month.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Photographer
Eugh, the one I did wasn't nearly that bad.. Just some color warping and it was a little larger than a wallet size, few creases. Kudos to your patience!
The biggest problem with doing those is that you never want to look at them again.
:iconhassanalkhajul:
HassanAlKhajul Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Anything with hair. If I have to airbrush out something that's behind a hairy subject, I just give up. I guess that's why you get the shot right the first time.
I hate cutting hair out but adding to it/making it longer I don't mind. I had to learn that pretty quickly with horses and it's a pretty seamless transition with people, but it has to be just right or it looks all LSAJDASJDKLKASJD.
:iconsylor41:
sylor41 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I hate cutting out hair in Photoshop (don't have any experience with shoots sorry)
Ugh, I know that feel too.
Right!?!? I wish there was a shave tool :headbang:
Make ALL THE BALD PEOPLE
Lol YES!
:icontimberclipse:
TimberClipse Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Filmographer
I have never had luck with hair at all.... 
Add a Comment: