Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Is there anyone I can study under?

:iconericad218:
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Photographer
Hello:) I'm Erica. I'm a sophomore in highschool and currently a photography student there. I've learned a lot since the beginning of the school year, but we rarely go over our assignments. I'd really like someone professional, or considerably close:P, to allow me to study under them. Basically just give opinions, suggestions, critique on my work and if you have the time to give assignments of your own I'm welcome to those as well.
I'm truly interested in photography as a career. I have yet to pick out specializations due to the fact that I want to keep my options open and explore the art more.
Is there anyone who may be interested in helping me out with this? No studios in my area off internships or job shadowing that I've come across>.< which I tried to find first before I began pestering DA.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Photographer
What kind of photography are you planning on pursuing?, After looking at your portfolio Might I also suggest a route in advertising/conceptualization something I have been looking into myself actually.

I started with a lot of youtube tutorials and I found them to be extremely helpful, especially kelby training. Its rather expensive but well worth every penny.
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Photographer
I'm actually already interested in the advertising/commercial. We did a project on it and I definitely had fun being creative with that. I like conceptual a lot as well, photo manipulation is one of my favorite things actually, but I hadn't really considered it because I hadn't noticed a large demand for it. Commercial and portrait are what I am checking out at this point.
What is in my gallery is mostly assignments from the class. There are two photography classes and I am only in the first portion so we are being given things basically to explore our options. It's more of a creative class which is how I get into the conceptual type of thing.
As far as conceptual goes, Brooke Shaden is one of the photographers we've studied with this "unit"/lesson and I know that she puts up tutorials for how her pictures are done.
Check out Joel Grime's

pure creation and concept

[link]
Ooooh:) I'm watching
Thank you very much
no problem, happy new year!
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Photographer
you too
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I don't mind helping you out. Although it is really hard to understand from your gallery what you are looking to move forward with since it is cluttered with a lot of images of very different types. (art, drawing, sports, portraits, macro, wildlife, etc) I can't promise anything but send me a note with an outline of what direction you want to go in and we can go from there.
Well thank you first off:)
And I know...I really need to go through and separate some things/delete them. Even my photography folder isn't an example of what I do that was when I sort of just took pictures.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
There's nothing inherently wrong with that early on. But, to get really good, you're going to want to pick a couple types to focus on. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do others as well, but specialization is necessary to be the best.

The vast majority of my work over the years has been focused on transitions. That moment between life and death, between youth and age. It's by far the strongest part of my work. But, I do other things as well when they show up. I know it's kind of a niche, but because of that, I can spend less time worrying about standing out and more time worrying about my composition.
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Photographer
Most of the work I'm doing is from assignments that we have to do. I'm hoping my next year in the class will be a more specialization type of thing. I think I'll ask her about that because that might really be good for us since the class will be advanced and small if we could start to specialize with the guidance from her.
I should also being doing stuff on my own, but I'll probably hop on that horse over the summer sometime.
Add a Comment: