Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Weird Colours on dA?

:iconblepfo:
blepfo Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Photographer
Very recently (I've only noticed this happening in the past couple of months), I've noticed the colours of photos I've uploaded to dA have looked off. They're less saturated, colder, and greener than they appear on my monitor (when I view the files on my hard drive). I can't seem to figure out why the colours are different for uploaded vs. non-uploaded photos. The photos look normal when I upload them to Flickr, so I don't think it's a colour calibration issue.

For reference: I also upload my photos on Flickr, where the colours appear normal.

Examples:
Silver Blanket:
dA: [link]
Flickr: [link]

Grin:
dA: [link]
Flickr: [link]

Any ideas about why this is happening/how to fix it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Problem solved! :iconolda-g: figured out that my uploads were in ProPhoto RGB, which dA can't display, so it converts everything to sRGB.
Time so set Lightroom to keep everything in sRGB :P
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I still prefer 16-bit ProPhoto RGB as an editing space. ProPhoto RGB preserves all the colors captured in your raw file. Smaller color spaces can sometimes be subject to color banding with extensive editing. It is also better if you are ever to print to a wide gamut printer. Higher bit depth and larger color spaces can be made smaller at output, but once you make something smaller you can't regain the lost information. Of course, as long as you preserve the original RAW file you can still recover everything from that.
I save all my RAWs with xmp sidecars to save all the processing info so everything is non-destructive
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I downloaded your flikr image to troubleshoot. The image in flikr is in ProPhoto RGB. Apparently flikr is able to color manage the photo (looks good by the way). DA assumes that everything is in sRGB. The symptoms you observe are standard for viewing a ProPhoto RGB image in sRGB colorspace without conversion. You need to convert your photos to sRGB before uploading onto DA and everything will look like it does on flikr (except DA still has the Exorcist Green background (yuck).
You were right; I got Lightroom 4 recently and it turns out I've been unknowingly converting them all to ProPhoto RGB... Whoops :P

Thanks for the help!
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess this is an issue with CMYK/RGB conversion on DA.
Most of the default image resizing library's don't handle that kind of stuff the right way, which results in that kind of greenish images.
:iconmkr:
mkr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
dA is probably using an image library (on the backend) that doesn't use caution with colors.
:iconmischievouspooka:
MischievousPooka Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Well, I notice if you hit download image on you deviation page, then the image with the colors I see in flickr came up. I think it has to do with the image being resize on DA. When you put it up on DA do you select original size or one of the other sizes. Maybe if you pick original size it will not change the color since it does not have to be resize.
Add a Comment: