Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Photography, rules, conditions and much more.

:icondarkjazmin11:
DarkJazmin11 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have being dealing with some groups that accept good quality and not pictures from phone. i don't think it's fair. What you think? What matters: The tool or the skills? :P

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As :iconkingstephenarthur: said people take the groups stuff way too seriously. I've entered stuff I think is good enough to be for the standard required only to have it turned down, fair enough but then the next day some right cack I know I can run rings around makes it in. I've seen some stunning work by some seriously good pro-portrait shooters get turned down from some 250 person group that's full of p'n's snaps!

I don't mind being turned down, seriously I don't, when I know it's for a good reason and more importantly the acceptance quality is consistent. What really gets up my nose is when there are obvious inconsistencies in the acceptances. I am a contributor on a photo group and I always try to be consistent with my votes and where something just doesn't quite cut it I try to leave a reason why I don't like something so the admins know exactly why I declined.

The other side of the coin is that running a group, especially a large one, is a thankless task and always run by volunteers so it's hard to get consistency and quality markers for the work coming in. Everyone sending stuff in thinks their shot is the bee's knees and ultimately a certain standard or acceptance policy has to be maintained to ensure a group is manageable.

As the mantra goes in the open software community, "If you don't like some software, write your own.". Same with DA groups, if you don't like the way certain groups are, then start your own.
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Photographer
skils 100%, the camera is just a tool for the trade, its skills that will make you shine or break you down.
DarkJazmin11 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True :D
:iconapocalypticstardust2:
ApocalypticStarDust2 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think skill. I have this one picture, taken with my HORRIBLE camera phone, and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I have 2 really good and amazing pictures from my phone.
DarkJazmin11 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Good for you. Keep up the good work :P
:iconandanar:
andanar Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's a group - their rules. That said, phone cameras are increasing in quality and are capable of decent quality images. It is however an easy way to filter out random genital shots and "here is me in the mirror holding up my phone" crap.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Groups were made so that people could have their own thing and if anyone wanted to join, they could. So if you disagree with a group's rules, don't bother with it. Let them do their own thing, because there will always be these kinds of disagreements. If enough people disagree with the sentiments of those groups, the groups will lose members and disappear.
DarkJazmin11 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes :)
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Photographer
*Shrug* their group, their rules. There are tons of groups that accept everything, join those or make your own. If people want to make a group for something specific, it's their right.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
In real life, there are groups just for people with Argus cameras (Argus Collector's Group), groups just for people with Leica cameras (the International Leica Club), just for people with Nikons (Nikonians). Yes, there are also people who start clubs for photographers who only use high quality cameras. They have the right to set whatever kind of standards they want to that are legal. Instead of trying to get into one that does not want you, join one that does, or you can start your own and not let them join it. Problem solved.
Add a Comment: