Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

trouble shooting

:icondiosrubra:
hi everyone, Im quite new really at photography and i know a few people will hate this question as its too generic but i always seem to hit every snag going when taking photos from too much glare off of glass, blurred images when i take flash off and things being backlit and turning out too dark etc. just wandering what problems you have and how you've got around them?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontimberclipse:
TimberClipse Dec 28, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Glass is more important that the body that it is on.
:iconfallisphoto:
Oh, and BTW, that statement has never really been true except in very general terms. When you need a 4x5 view camera, a subminiature 110 camera isn't going to work, no matter what lens you put on it.

"Glass is more important that the body that it is on."

Translation and explaination: The lens is the most important item of gear in photography. It is more important than the camera you attach it to. This was fairly true in the film age, when a camera was pretty much just a light-tight box with a hole in it that you attached a shutter to and the image capture device was a piece of film, but these days the image capture device is usually a digital sensor. Back then, the quality of the lens was pretty much the only seriously considered technical factor that limited how well your photos could come out. With digital cameras, the sensor, which is part of the camera body, is also very important. The lens is still very important, but this statement is less true today than it used to be, because the lens is no longer the only quality-limiting factor related to gear. An Ansco 1.2mp camera with a Noctilux lens on it is going to shoot photos that look like crap even with the very expensive lens. The statement is thus only true for digital cameras if it is assumed that the body meets a minimum standard.

ty for the explanation been ill the past few days so comments like that have gone over my head lately
Expertise comes from experience. Experience is making every imaginable mistake and learning from them. As time goes on you make fewer mistakes.
nicely put but how do we learn from our mistakes if we dont ask for help
Well, you CAN learn through a process called trial and error. That's how most of us learn the vast majority of what we know.

Now about asking for help: I haven't checked the thread today, but last time I did check, you had not asked for help with anything specific and had not mentioned a specific problem. The topic of photography covers a whole lot of territory and I don't care to write a dozen textbooks here, so what specific areas do you feel that you need help in? Can you narrow it down any at all? Lighting? Composition? Exposure? Post processing? Making prints? Advanced darkroom techniques? Film/developer selection? Presentation? Marketing?

Seriously, back before there were digital cameras and things got complicated, when a camera had an ASA/ISO setting, a shutter speed setting, a focus control and an f/stop setting, there were textbooks two inches thick on how to use them. Things have gotten a whole lot more complicated now.
:iconshurakai-stock:
Shurakai-Stock Dec 28, 2012  Professional Photographer
Window glare: turn off all room lights if you want to shoot from inside looking outside. Use a circular polarizer to limit reflections. Never fire a flash directly at a window, mirror or similarly reflective surface; it’ll bounce directly back into the camera.

Backlight: use the flash on your camera, preferably in manual mode. If that’s too harsh, use a silver reflector to bounce some of that light back into your subject. If that’s still too harsh, switch to a white reflector. Remember that the larger the light source, the softer the shadows it’s going to produce, and that applies to reflectors, too. If you don’t want hard, specular highlights on people’s skin, use a bedsheet as a reflector if you can.

Low light: tripod, or brace the camera on a solid surface. Crank your ISO and learn to either live with the high ISO noise or get some sort of noise reduction program or plug-in.

My problem is that I can’t afford the $28,000 I need to buy the camera I want.
tyvm for the tips il be sure to use them unfortunately money is a problem for me too and i think a problem for many artists :)
Add a Comment: