Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Photography portfolio - how to broadcast better?

:icontheo-cupent42:
theo-cupent42 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I went and made myself a photography portfolio to showcase everything I've taken (here: [link]). I'm very much interested (as all web-creators are) of getting it out there further, except being very new onto the scene, and a beginning photographer, I'm a little stuck and a bit overwhelmed. Any advice from folks who know what they're doing in this field would go a reeaaally long way~!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmkr:
mkr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
Your portfolio would benefit from some more ambitious subjects. You have some nicely composed and well-saturated photos of insects, just like a million other people. You'll be passed over for a person who does marginally better bug shots with nothing to distinguish your work.
theo-cupent42 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for the feedback - how could I go for these more ambitious subjects? I understand this is something that will take practice and time and energy - especially in the macro scheme of things - but is there any specific pointers you have that could help?

Thanks!
:iconmkr:
mkr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I meant go for more variety. Bug shots are good, but won't be enough unless you're planning to shoot for entomologists.
Ah! I got you now! Thanks for the tip! ^.^
:iconxcetera:
Xcetera Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Photographer
The best way of creating a name for yourself "out there" is to be very active out there. Which means, talking with other people, critiquing other people's work, reading/taking tutorials and making them yourself, and making yourself available.

On the other hand, you have two portraits in your portfolio of mainly animals and bugs. Not only are they messing with the synergy of your portfolio because they're a completely different photographic subject, but quite frankly aren't nearly as good as your other work. Your portfolio ought to be a display of your very best.
Thanks for the feedback - I greatly appreciate it. I might take those two out today and replace them with another two macro images that will work better (I think). Would you be able to take the time to have a look for me and tell me what you think? That would be awesome if you could :)
:iconaliecko:
Aliecko Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for tips!
Add a Comment: