Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Black & White Dramatic Tips?

:iconredphanthom:
RedPhanthom Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Photographer
I need some tips on how to do Dramatic Lighting for my School Project. Any type of tips to use like what time to take photos? I live in a urban residential area, Not much of a place to take photos of. Must figure out a way to get something good. Spent I think 8 shots taking photos around almost night time. Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Photographer
[link] This was shot with a basic compact flourescent light and a clamp lamp that i bought at the hardware store... The light I used here was a 200 watt equivalent but it was around $10 for the bulb alone. Wattage at leas is low so you don't have to buy a super expensive lamp to put it into. Sources of light can be endless as Fallis said, it's more about positioning and figuring out what looks interesting.
RedPhanthom Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Photographer
Pretty nice. Ill have to try that out.
RedPhanthom Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Photographer
I use Film 400IOS rolls.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Do you know what "low key" lighting is? It is a form of lighting that is primarily used with nudes or portraits and it is pretty dramatic. Low key nude: [link] low key portrait: [link] In low key lighting, you usually use a black backdrop and the lights are located farther back than the model, so that the shadows fall on the front of the model..
I know what they are. But I have to use natural lighting since I dont know what to use to make those light effects.
It can be done with either hot lights or strobes. Hell, it can be done with table lamps, if you really have to.
Thanks! Im justing wondering what time I should do it when im outside.
You can't do that outside. To really do dramatic lighting, you need lights. If you can only shoot outside, you are pretty much going to have to rely on sunrises and sunsets to get anything remotely resembling dramatic lighting. The light is fairly stark then. 15 minutes later, it gets softer.
Thats what Ive been using mostly. But I cant do any for today since its gloomy outside in Florida. Not much to use inside since there's barely anything for lights. My parents barely have lights on.
Try a long exposure with a candle then.
Add a Comment: