Details

Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6
:iconphantomdragon09:
PhantomDragon09 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I have never heard of Pentax cameras, I found the Pentax K-x on Amazon and it looked pretty good (I'm looking for a basic DSLR right now, good for beginners) Is Pentax any good? and what would you recommend otherwise?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony are the big four. If you are looking at DLSRs, they are all good -- very good. If you are looking at compact cameras, I believe Canon is best.
:iconrosesnreps:
rosesnreps Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Photographer
I used Pentax for years, owned a K110d and a K200d. Took some fantastic pictures but eventually changed to Nikon simply because I found they performed better in low light conditions and I find it easier to get hold of lenses.
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Pay attention to the lenses that are available for the body. That's the best way to decide which system to go for. After that, look at the bodies available for the system and get the best one you can afford. But, the lenses are where most of the money goes anyways, so if you have to scrimp, do so on the body, not on the lenses.

Quality lenses will last decades, you'll probably replace the body at least once during that time.
:icondrewzor:
drewzor Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I have only ever worked with pentax, you can check out my gallery.
My wife uses sony alpha.
Pentax are very good quality cameras, they have good glass and decent image processors.
They are slow in comparison to other brands in terms of burst rates etc.
The good thing about pentax is that all their lenses are compatible, if you find a 24mm prime sigma lens from the 1970's, it will fit the latest camera they release.
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
Pentax makes good cameras. Their film cameras used to have a reputation among newspaper photographers as good, solid workhorse cameras. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the K-x is going to be the best one for you, though. My recommendation would be to visit a camera store that sells a few different brands. Ask to see one of each. Hold it in your hand and see how comfortable it is. Is it a good weight? Do the controls seem to be in a good spot, easy to reach? Then have the sales rep demonstrate some of the menus. Are they logical, or confusing? Ask about the range of lenses (how many are available?; are there any issues with legacy lenses?; do any third-party lens manufacturers make lenses for them?). Find out what other accessories are available, and how those compare from brand to brand. Then make your choice.
:iconredoctoberrising:
RedOctoberRising Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
All I know about Pentax is my mum had a film Pentax for years and it was nice.

I totally love Nikons.
Add a Comment: