Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Buying a new telezoom-lens? (Canon)

:iconwiingzz:
wiingzz Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This is a question for all Canon users who are using the lenses below here or know more about these lenses.

I'm thinking of buying a new tele-zoom lens, the 70-200mm f/4.0 USM.
The lens that I'm now using is a 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS.

My question is: Is the quality of the 70-200mm lens much better and is the autofocus faster? Is this lens worth my money and (alot) better than the 55-250mm lens?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconorangefruits:
orangefruits Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm in the same boat, thinking about the 70-200 f4 non-IS lens. I think before I spend the big bucks on the IS version or even the f2.8 version I'll stick with the basic 70-200 to see if I need it.

Just out of curiosity, what camera are you using?
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Photographer
70-200 is a great focal range!, Im currently using the 2.8 is ii version and a 2x converter for wildlife. Its still tack sharp at 400mm 5.6

the 70-200 f4 non is is also a really good lens very sharp at f4 and hell of a lot lighter than the 2.8is ii, If you planning on shooting in snow storms and monsoon rains i would opt for the is version because its weather resistant.

Hope this helps,
sincerely
Mikey :D
orangefruits Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's good to know the IS is weather resistant, we get a lot of rain her in the UK. I am thinking of doing something very similar, with the 2x convertor effectively giving me a 400mm lens. :)
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Photographer
i would recommend saving up for the f2.8 version if you plan on using a 2x converter. Or look at getting a 200mm prime 2.8 and converter
orangefruits Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I am a fan of primes but I really am looking for a zoom lens for a telephoto and just can't yet justify the money on a 2.8. We'll see, tbh I probably wont both with the convertor, not yet anyway.
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Photographer
if your thinking of putting on a converter in the long run, i would deff save up for the 2.8 is ii
wiingzz Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
totally the same here! It's such a diffucicult choice because your throwing away alot of money if you're not happy with your new lens.
I'm now using a canon 600D, great body :D
orangefruits Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Watch out for the crop factor on that 600D, although, you'll effectively have a 320mm lens at full zoom.
wiingzz Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I know :)
that's only a good thing for taking photography of animals
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
When I was looking at getting a 70-200L, I thought about getting the non-IS version as I shoot most of my stuff from a tripod. I read few articles that said if you can afford it, either get a wider variation of the lens or get IS because light can change very rapidly and all of a sudden you find you can't secure the speed you need to make the shot. IS buys back quite a few stops and I am very glad I spent a little bit more and got the IS version of 70-200 f/4 as I found I use that lens far more off the tripod that I ever thought I would and without IS I would be pushing up the ISO or worse losing opportunities.
Add a Comment: