Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Niche VS. Ca$h

:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
Amateur moving slowly up the ranks here :) Recently I've offered services publicly and I've made a decent amount of extra money from it. However, it clearly states on facebook and my zenfolio account that I specialize in Equine & Pet photography. After I shot a Hot Chelle Rae show, was hired for my friends engagement announcement, a TFP shoot with my friend - well... the four legs were set aside for two. Now I've done newborn and family portraits. Fortunately/Unfortunately word of mouth is a big deal and that's the only way people have figured out I'm capable of portraits.

That being said, portraits aren't my niche. They are not my greatest work (except I was super proud of my newborn shoot, not even gonna lie!) and I'm just not excited about them like I am the event, equine and pet photography.

TL;DR & CONCLUSION:
After I move I will advertise and offer my services as a photographer, but before I do that I just wonder should I offer portraits just because they pay, or should I just decline them all together and stick to what I love and not get as much income because of it? Part of me says go with what I love, but logic in me says take the cash while it comes but I also know I might get burned out that way. I'm conflicted and I would really love to read some insight!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Thank you ALL for the replies and insight :D Some great points were covered and I guess I'll just prioritize shoots from niche to portraits. You're all right - money is money.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"That being said, portraits aren't my niche."

taking assignments that are outside of your niche can help you expand your horizons as an artist. There is no shame in doing this, and you can easily use the money to support doing the type of photography you love.

I loved doing photojournalism in college, because it made me tackle subjects outside of my niche. It made me think about the entire world more in terms of photography and broadened by horizons.

I learned the art of the moving portrait, where you'd get subjects (most easily visiting dignitaries), who weren't posing for you, but instead, you needing to move around them, instead of them posing for you.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
I’ve done lots of stuff I wouldn’t include in my portfolio, like products for a catalogue. Work is work.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
If you are ok with shooting it there is nothing wrong with shooting outside your niche, however, do not put those photos in your portfolio. Your portfolio should be a reflection of your niche or target nice.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Photographer
Honestly, only you can answer that.
But is photography your only income? do you make enough money from the photography you love vs portraits?
Photography as a business is like any other business, sometimes you love it, sometimes you just gotta do it to pay the bills.
Honestly I don't really know because I haven't made it a full time job yet. I've always had other jobs to support expenses and this theme will continue until photography becomes more regular.
Add a Comment: