Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Have you ever experienced a sudden dislike for every photo you've ever taken?

:iconbeeayoutifullove:
beeayoutifullove Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
So I took a short break from photography, maybe a month or so. Now I'm creating a new blog and getting back into the flow, and I suddenly think every one of my pictures is awful. I'm really trying to take it as a positive spin and as a motivation to improve, but at the same time years of photographing brought me to this point and it quite honestly sucks.

Has anyone else encountered such a photographer's block? How did you overcome it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   General Artist
I generally come to dislike every photo I take a good 20 minutes after I load it to my computer and finding all my mistakes and flaws and/or it's just not what I wanted in my head or had planned. :shrug:

I always just find photography projects and such to find a way to try new things and find something that works out that I like for at least 23 minutes. :shrug:
:iconbeeayoutifullove:
beeayoutifullove Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Thank you everyone, it's definitely encouraging to hear it's a normal occurrence, I was getting a bit worried! I haven't deleted anything which is good haha. I will be trying new things as soon as possible to try to get out of this funk!
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
LOL! Funny you say that. I suddenly came to the realisation that I caught "posting fever" over the last 2 months! I would simply go out, shoot, come home, edit and post images thinking they were OK. Suddenly yesterday I realised I have been accepting, well I'll be polite as this a polite forum, "far less than acceptable quality images". I utterly dislike about 90% of the crud I have shot over the last 2 months so much so that I've started deleting them wherever they have been uploaded to, I'm keeping them in my library but as a warning against complacency.

Patience that's what's needed, just need to just hold back and see if my images ripen or rot before even thinking about posting anything.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Tell you one thing though, don't delete anything! I still have some of my first images I ever shot with a digital ( even a few of my early film shots from 30 years ago ) and they are damn hilarious. They've gone beyond garbage to just plain funny. How I thought they were even remotely interesting is beyond me! :laughing:
:iconbakisto:
Bakisto Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes, Like others have stated I think it's part of growing. I recently stopped liking HDR's. I'm trying to move away from doing them but it's difficult when they are you most popular images... Not just on dA but with friends and family as well.
:iconkintarotpc:
Kintarotpc Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Totally. I've definitely had that moment at least a few times. Subsequently, I trimmed the hedges and toss out what does not work for my any longer. I recently did a major overhaul of my gallery here because of something just like this in fact. I kept more than I really should have just so I have at bit of content.

Getting over it? I guess really I just get to that point then have to tell myself, "This sucks because X. I need to work on X and won't stop until I stop doing X anymore." I try to be positive and usually when I put my mind to it, I will stubbornly not allow myself the luxury of giving up.

tl;dr: Remind yourself that you can do better, then go out and do just that! :D
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I think this is natural for those involved in any kind of creative endeavor whether it is photography, art, architecture, or scientific research. We have gotten so close to our work that we become fixated on things we wish we had done better to the point that the flaws are all we see. For graduate students writing their first research paper we recommend creating some distance between yourself and the work by doing something else for a while until you can come back with a fresh view. For photography, we might try to shoot using a new style or subject matter, something outside your comfort zone.

Most photographers are disatisfied with what they did last year. It's part of the natural process of striving to improve skills and get better. I had a similar episode where I closed my account and started over with a new one. That was a bad idea and I don't recommend it. Do new stuff until you can come back to the old with fresh eyes.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I've never had this. I will always like the photos that I like.
:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I never experienced that feeling before but what I do is that I take more than one shot to the same scenery and check them out in the camera. When I'm dissatisfied with any picture in particular I either take another shot or just delete it. It's frustrating sometimes when I dislike every single shot you took, but maybe you just need to take a short break and return when you find yourself motivated and ready :)
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
No, I can't say that's happened... However I can say with each new shoot I find myself subtracting a photo from my profile and adding one. I see myself improving but I've never experienced anything like that. Other art forms are a different story though!
Add a Comment: