December 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Splitting a photo into four equal parts

:iconkyavalentine:
KyaValentine Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am posting this for a friend.

She wants to split a photo into four equal parts to use in an old window that will be her headboard. Now, she has no experience with digital programs.

If there is anyone who would kindly explain how to do this, I would appreciate it greatly.

She does have Photoshop CS - version 8 on her work computer.

Thank you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongray--day:
Gray--Day Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If your friend has Photoshop, a good way to go about it would be to first have the photo in a layer separate from the background:

- Then she would have to click on that layer in the 'Layers' panel with the ctrl key pressed.
- This should put the entire layer under selection. Right-clicking on the photo itself should now enable the 'Transform selection' option from a drop-down menu.
- If you resize its width and height down to 50%, you will get a selection that will fit in exactly each quarter of the photo. It can be moved around with the marquee tool selected; it will automatically snap to corners.
- With that, you can copy each corner of the photo and paste them into separate layers - a photo split into 4 even parts.

My apologies if these instructions are excessively detailed. I just assume I shouldn't skip anything if I don't know how familiar the person is with Photoshop. Hope this helps.
:iconchicky2:
chicky2 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
do it like in life...draw diagonal lines from corners, then you will get the centre... just draw straight lines trough the middle and thats it
...or you could play with the resizing and rulers
KyaValentine Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you! I gave her everyone's suggestions and she's going to try them out.
:iconcaptain-savvy:
Captain-Savvy Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If she has photoshop she ought to be able to turn on the rulers and adjust the size there. I'm awful at math but 4 8x10s would come out to 16 x 20 if I'm not wrong. She should resize the picture to that, then use the rulers to make guidelines (usually just clicking in the ruler and dragging onto the image will make a blue line that won't show when printed). Then crop each section into an 8x10, save it separately, 'undo' so she's back at the original, then do it again with the other three. This is probably not the easiest way to do it, but it's how I'd muddle through XD
KyaValentine Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you :D

I gave the suggestions to her and she said she's going to try them out. :hug:
:iconsmoottie:
Smoottie Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
If I've understood this right and she wants to print it and put it in some sort of frame, then why not just print it out, measure it and cut it in four pieces?
KyaValentine Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Something about it being perfectly equal. I guess she had a program on her computer at one time that did it automatically and she wants to do it the same way.

She wants it to be four 8x10s I believe. So it may be that her printer cannot print the photo large enough to manually cut them out.

(you've understood it as well as I have and that's what I would have done as well)
:iconsmoottie:
Smoottie Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I see.. Well, can't help then, since I know nothing of editing pictures... I'd just do it manually to be honest... Guess we're just too old-fashioned =P
Add a Comment: