Closed to new replies
December 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What are you tips and tricks?

:iconesjoat:
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Brand spanken new here! I am most defiantly an amateur photographer and although I don't think I take a horrible photo I was wondering what tips and tricks other people use to improve their shots?

I would like to think that it dosent all come down to how good your camera is because mine is getting on in age and I have no money to upgrade :P

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icons2photos:
S2Photos Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"Favor will always favor the bold" applies to art. Try new things, take tons of shots, and keep a journal/notepad. Sometimes you'll have a great idea and nothing around to write it down, or you'll start taking shots and wish you remember how you got a certain effect (time of day, certain natural filter/shadow, etc). That website linked earlier about composition and fundamentals is good, bookmark that and read it over and over so you're in the field thinking about it. All-in-all, get really good at the basics, never stop shooting, and the truly artsy stuff will come with better understanding. Your gallery shows a good grasp so far, keep it up. And keep reading, tons of resources online and even youtube
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for the suggestions! no worries either I will keep shooting till my fingers bleed :P or at least till they hurt a little ;)
:iconkintarotpc:
Kintarotpc Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
One tip no one ever told me: Until you can make a fantastic image without them, don't use fad-type edits like HDR and Split-toning. You'll be glad you didn't later.
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
makes sense because if its a bad image applying a filter won't make it better :P
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Photographer
just go out and the more you do it yourself the more ways you'll find how to do things on your own. it's how you will develop your own style.

But I'll give you one specific tip right now since I think this is more along the lines of what you're looking for. When you see a picture you want to take, don't just settle for the first angle or first thing you see. examine the subject and walk around and look around for different angles or different ways to capture the photo.
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
so the concept being the more photos I take from different angles... etc the more likely I am to get a shot that I am happy with? :) sounds like a solid theory!

I just checked out your profile and I can honestly say I'm loving your style!
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Photographer
lol, yes I suppose that would be the theory! also maybe that the first picture you see is also the easiest one, a shot that might require a little more though could be the better photo. Either way, I end up shooting TONS of photos of the same thing anyways. lol

thank you very much, I am glad you enjoy :D
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I went away over christmas and found this old car parked in a small town in rural victoria, I think I must have taken 30+ photos of this one car lol
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Photographer
nicely done! 30 is a good number. :) haha
:iconsokolovic1987:
sokolovic1987 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As a semi decent photographer myself (at least I'd like to think I am). I can say the composition is the number 1 thing to learn. The rules of thirds is the main thing to keep in mind. However there are other compositional rules you can use.

[link] This is a good article for the basic basics.
Add a Comment: