Closed to new replies
December 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What are you tips and tricks?

:iconesjoat:
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Brand spanken new here! I am most defiantly an amateur photographer and although I don't think I take a horrible photo I was wondering what tips and tricks other people use to improve their shots?

I would like to think that it dosent all come down to how good your camera is because mine is getting on in age and I have no money to upgrade :P

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icons2photos:
S2Photos Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"Favor will always favor the bold" applies to art. Try new things, take tons of shots, and keep a journal/notepad. Sometimes you'll have a great idea and nothing around to write it down, or you'll start taking shots and wish you remember how you got a certain effect (time of day, certain natural filter/shadow, etc). That website linked earlier about composition and fundamentals is good, bookmark that and read it over and over so you're in the field thinking about it. All-in-all, get really good at the basics, never stop shooting, and the truly artsy stuff will come with better understanding. Your gallery shows a good grasp so far, keep it up. And keep reading, tons of resources online and even youtube
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for the suggestions! no worries either I will keep shooting till my fingers bleed :P or at least till they hurt a little ;)
:iconkintarotpc:
Kintarotpc Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
One tip no one ever told me: Until you can make a fantastic image without them, don't use fad-type edits like HDR and Split-toning. You'll be glad you didn't later.
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
makes sense because if its a bad image applying a filter won't make it better :P
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Photographer
just go out and the more you do it yourself the more ways you'll find how to do things on your own. it's how you will develop your own style.

But I'll give you one specific tip right now since I think this is more along the lines of what you're looking for. When you see a picture you want to take, don't just settle for the first angle or first thing you see. examine the subject and walk around and look around for different angles or different ways to capture the photo.
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
so the concept being the more photos I take from different angles... etc the more likely I am to get a shot that I am happy with? :) sounds like a solid theory!

I just checked out your profile and I can honestly say I'm loving your style!
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Photographer
lol, yes I suppose that would be the theory! also maybe that the first picture you see is also the easiest one, a shot that might require a little more though could be the better photo. Either way, I end up shooting TONS of photos of the same thing anyways. lol

thank you very much, I am glad you enjoy :D
I went away over christmas and found this old car parked in a small town in rural victoria, I think I must have taken 30+ photos of this one car lol
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Photographer
nicely done! 30 is a good number. :) haha
:iconsokolovic1987:
sokolovic1987 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As a semi decent photographer myself (at least I'd like to think I am). I can say the composition is the number 1 thing to learn. The rules of thirds is the main thing to keep in mind. However there are other compositional rules you can use.

[link] This is a good article for the basic basics.
Thank you for the great article! it has even a good read and I think I have some more things to take in to account in my photos!
:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not a professional photographer but all I can say is that when I take the shot, I use photoshop to improve the lightening and add other effects if I find it necessary.
I do the same but I don't want to have to rely on photoshop to fix my images :P I'm sure it will all come with time :D
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
There are so many that apply to so many different situations and the best way is to spend time finding them out for yourself. The one thing I don't really like is people simply asking others for their "tips and tricks", you amass a huge collection of little ideas and none will get practiced properly as you flit from one to another never really getting to grips with any of them, the images never quite make the grade and people get disappointed. Hate to break it to you but good photography takes time, you're probably sick of hearing that but I'm afraid I can tell you from bitter experience that it's 100% true. When I first started taking it really seriously about 3 years ago I really thought I could crack it in 5 minutes, Jeez was I in for a shock! 3 years it's taken me to start producing the sort of images I wanted to shoot 3 years ago! It's far better to pick ideas and tips up from all sorts of places as and when you need them, that way you slowly build up your own cache of neat little ideas that help you get what you want. The best part of photography is not the images, it's the journey of learning the craft carefully.

Rather than be a misanthropic old git, here's a couple of pointers on your stuff rather then general tips.

Your trying a nice range of subjects so keep at it but do lay off the retro filters! Yes I know digital camera images are boring when you first get them back to your computer and it's very tempting to try to hit that Instagram filter style but trust me, it's simply a fad and every one goes through it and next year another fad will be chased by all the noobs. Every one of us sees exactly the same thing when we get our images into the computer, whether they're from a digital camera or via a scanner from a negative or printed photo. All images start off dull and learning to subtly adjust the colours and contrast is the first step for every single one of us.

You're making the classic beginner mistake of zooming in and trapping the interesting things in the image inside a box, ease back a little and try to consider how the interesting thing fits into the overall view that first caught your eye, then decide if you still need to isolate it or does it work better within the context of it's own surroundings. Basically don't just zoom, stop and think, "How will other people see this and understand what I'm trying to say with my picture without ramming up their nose?". That's the first step towards considering composition, which by the way is probably what 80% of what photography is. Studying and understanding the image you see in front of you, before you snap the shutter. As composition is such a huge thing in photography you will find that a huge number of the books on photography discuss it in great depth.

It very rarely comes down to the camera, hence the classic mantra, "Photographer's make images, not cameras.".
I greatly appreciate your honesty!

You have given me quite a lot to think about and I know that Im not going to just be good after 5 minutes but I like the filters -_- lol

I will however try to back off on them and work on some more natural looking images.

Thank you again for your post you have no idea how truly helpful it has been :)
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Like many will tell you, composition is real secret skill in photography. Most beginners think you just point the camera at something interesting and it just falls into place, they do not realise that stunning photographs are the culmination of years study, lots of failures and tons of practice.

Stick at it and I can promise you even though the ride is tough the journey is certainly worth it!
ESJOAT Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I look forward to the journey! the only real "rule" that I have any knowledge of is the rule of thirds but I get the idea I think as you say however it will take me many years to master!

As always however I appreciate the help although learning these lessons for myself is important I think it is equally important to lean from those around you.
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Like any subject where you have passionate people, if you have a very specific query about something that you don't understand people will be ten times more likely to chip than if you just ask very generic questions about the the sort of stuff you can easily pick up from somewhere like a Google search.

Hope you'll you'll stick around, there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here in the DA forums.
I will defiantly be sticking around no doubt about that!

And just so you know I love your work you are an amazing photographer
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You're very kind but I tell you now, for everything you like in my stuff I bet I could find 10 things I know I could improve, LOL!
lol i suppose being self critical and a little bit of a perfectionist is part in parcel with being an artists / photographer
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Even though I'm kind of a noob myself (only been shooting for a year now) I always try to bring my camera with me everywhere. Because you never know when you're gonna get that one shot.
Agreed :D
:iconthenaughticallife:
TheNAUGHTicalLife Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional Writer
I honestly believe once you've become literate on the basics (dimension, proportion, angle, focus, etc) it's all trial and error from there.

I'm no pro though, just been at it awhile.
:iconhemphat:
HempHat Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
For a tip, I would say to experiment with your photography so you can see your strong and weak points which will likely mean going out to explore a variety of places. This can also help with developing what you can call "personal style" when it comes to your photographs.
I pretty much carry my camera everywhere si this sholdent be too hard and I see where your coming from I guess only time will tell :)
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Well, looking at your gallery, here's one you could have used: If you are going to shoot spiderwebs, take a spray bottle along with you next time. Gently spray the web with a fine mist and it will show up better.
Hey thanks! There are plenty of spiderwebs around where I live so I will give that one a go!
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Here's another one: Looking at some of your outdoor photos, it has become pretty obvious that either you are shooting too near the middle of the day (bad lighting) or you need to get a polarizing lens filter.

In the middle of the day, when the sun is shining straight down, you are getting too much fill light, from ground reflections, and it makes everything look slightly milky. An amber filter or a polarizer will get rid of that milky cast, but of course an amber filter will then give it an amber cast, so the polarizer is usually best.
A lot of my shots have been near the middle of the day simply because of my work schedule but I will take this in to consideration! :)
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Try the polarizer then, it will get rid of some of the scattered light. You won't believe how much better it will look.
The fun part will be finding a polariser lens that will fit on a sony F828 (not a proper DSLR) hard to find things for and quite costly -_-
:iconphoenix-enigma:
phoenix-enigma Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
The F828 is threaded for 58mm filters, which is not at all exotic or hard to find. B&H has tons of them at all sorts of pricepoints.
I live down in tasmania and only have a single camera store accessible to me, the time I went in to get some filters they cold not tell me what filter I needed so to find out that it is a 58mm thread means I can get them online :) Thank you for the info!
Add a Comment: