December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

8mm film cartridges?

:icontysoncooley:
TysonCooley Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi.

Do you guys know where I can get 8mm film cartridges on the cheap?

I looked on amazon and they're going for $20 bucks a roll (just a bit out of my price range for 3 minutes of footage).

I have a silent super 8 camera and would prefer color film, but if b&w is a lot less expensive, I've got no problem with it.

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmonodistortion:
monodistortion Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
First of all, you should be clear what you're looking for. 8mm is much different than Super 8. It sounds like you're looking for a Super 8 film cartridge if that's what your camera is.

There are a few places to get film but you need to figure out if your camera works with the film too. Here are some links to get you started:
[link]
[link]
[link]
TysonCooley Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sorry, I thought that 8mm cartridge automatically meant "super 8".

Anyways, it's an old silent super 8 camera.

What do you mean "if your camera works with the film"? Are there specific kinds of film that won't work with specific kinds of cameras? Research so far has lead me to believe that there's only a few types of film and that the main difference is the shooting conditions and development process.

But hey, this is why we noobs ask people who know what they're doing! :D
:iconmonodistortion:
monodistortion Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Yes, there are only a few types of film available now, and some of the older cameras may not work with them. I just ran across these blog posts that explains some more of the technical side of cameras and film cartridges available.
[link]

Kodak has recently discontinued Ektachrome 100D but some is still available online. They're introducing a new negative film stock called Vision3 50D:
[link]

These film stocks are going to be more expensive but they're another option too:
[link]

Check out these guys for affordable transfers to digital:
[link]
TysonCooley Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for the advice, monodistortion!

You've certainly given me a lot to read :D

Can't wait to sink my teeth into some research.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
B&H has Foma film in Super 8 for $12.
TysonCooley Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Awesome!

Any idea where I can get color film?

I guess at this early in my goings it doesn't really matter, but it'd be cool to have these things lined up for sometime in the future.

Thanks for the advice.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012
If you want to get something really cheap, and don't mind taking a small risk, your best bet is usually ebay: [link] If you don't want to take a risk, one of the really big stores, like Adorama, Freestyle, or B&H is a good bet, but it will be more expensive. The last place to look is going to be a store like Frugal Photographer or Amazon, where you have added more unnecessary retail middlemen between the manufacturer and yourself. There are even some knockoff people in China making fakes of some things (not film), although buying that stuff isn't realy ethical and it is a whole lot more risky even than ebay.
Add a Comment: