Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Should I make a facebook page?

:icondevil-thedeviant:
Devil-TheDeviant Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi, I am a photographer but I do not post art very often.

So I want to ask, would there be any advantage in making a FB page and post regularly to it?

Would it be a good idea to post more regularly on facebook?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmkr:
mkr Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
The answer to any "Should I have..." question is answered with three more questions:
1. Will you keep it updated?
2. Does your target audience use it?
3. Can you maintain it without sacrificing productivity and creativity?

If you said yes to all three, then you should make the thing you're thinking about.
:icondevil-thedeviant:
Devil-TheDeviant Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
1. Yes, I'll update it.
2. Target audience is friends and family.
3. Art is my hobby, not profession.
:icontameless-love:
Tameless-Love Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Facebook doesn't protect your photos and is able to use them however and whenever you want as well as the people on there who will steal them. If you're a serious photographer willing to get their photos protected under copyright, I'd say yes. If you don't care about the associated risks of putting your pictures on facebook, then I'd say yes. Otherwise I'd say no. Maybe make a seperate account on here for art?
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional Photographer
thats when you know your photography is good, when someone else steals it.
:icontameless-love:
Tameless-Love Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Completely true, but you don't want to find out and not be able to do anything about it lol
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional Photographer
I usually just take it a free publicity, there is no point in fighting if it will get you nowhere. The only thing you can fight for is if they credit you for the work, sometimes worth fighting for sometimes not.
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It could work and there is no doubting that Facebook reaches an enormous audience.

Be very selective with what you post , I would only post photos there that you don't mind any one else using , never post anything with high resolution and make sure you read face books EULA so you know where you stand with YOUR photos.

There are a lot of people out there just waiting to rip you off and take from you anything they can and unfortunately they are ALL on Facebook.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Photographer
Facebook is currently the best way to connect you to clients in your area, but one thing to keep in mind is that anyone, and I mean anyone, who pays Facebook can get access to, and use your photos posted there, so just be careful of what you post there.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Facebook pages are pretty much the best marketing tool right now for connecting with potential customers in your own area. I hate Facebook personally but it is the reality of our current society.

Networks like Twitter, DA, Pinterest etc are better for connecting with fellow photographers globally.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
dA is more "art centric", as it has features that are more specific to showing 2D formats of visual art. Its easier to display and manage than facebook.

I don't like facebook at all, they are one giant privacy nightmare. I also don't like all the little apps, and mindless facebook banter....

thats said if you want to actively promote something, your financial future depends on, you NEED a facebook presence at this time. That is not to say you can't use other sites at this time. I recommend you support community projects diaspora, by paralelling your facebook page there as well.
Add a Comment: