Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Photo manipulation

:iconstwic:
stwic Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Hello there. I would like to ask you what are some of the most used photo manipulation technics in photography. Taking photos is a relaxing hobby of mine and i aint no pro, but I wonder how do you guys make those pictures look so good?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
`FallisPhoto covered most of the common ones, so it really depends on what you want to do with the picture. Chances are there is a technique for it.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
well, even if you just want some names of techniques to look up, there are quite a few. Some are chemical film techniques that can't be done in photoshop. Here are a few to look up:

double printing
texturization
negative stacking
photomontage
photocollage
vignetting
reverse vignetting
sabbatier
true solarization (rarely done anymore and requires special emulsions))
split contrast filtering (corresponds to advanced histogram manipulation)
toning (can be simulated in photoshop, but with indifferent results)
split toning (a random chemical technique for analog prints)
partial toning
selective toning
tinting
hand coloring
dodging
burning
screening (corresponds to layering, in photoshop)

I'd have to write a textbook in order to explain all of these, and I'm not going to do that. I'd probably run into a word limit trying to fully cover even one of these techniques, so I'd advise you to look them up one by one. I'm sure there are people out there somewhere who have written entire web pages devoted to one or more of the aforementioned techniques. If you can do those, you're way ahead of most people (who don't even know what they are). There are, of course, many more (some photoshop, some darkroom only).
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
This is kinda beyond the scope of a forum post, id suggest getting a book like this one: [link]
:iconstwic:
stwic Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Oh thanks m8...
Add a Comment: