Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Help with uneven development or camera light leaks.

:iconjonniedee:
jonniedee Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I've been recently having problems with the company that I get my film developed at. I wrote them a message and I am waiting for a reply.

Anybody familiar with uneven development or light leaks from a camera?

Below is the message with all of the information that I sent to them.

--------

Greetings,

I've been using your services for the last 10 months and up until now I have been happy.

I recently picked up 5 developed rolls of film that I had dropped off and picked up at your store. I need advice as to what is happening to the negatives. Some of the frames have vertical bright streaks running through them. It appears to be uneven development.

Here are some examples shot from my Rolleiflex MX-EVS and Kodak 400 Tmax film that I bought from you in the last 2 weeks. The Rolleiflex was also CLA'd by you in November of this year.

The first two examples are from the exact same roll of film.

[link]

[link]

I've taken photos using this camera and did not have any streaks previous to having it CLA'd, so it brings me to believe that it is not an issue with the camera.

This is an example of some of those shots, developed through your services, but before getting the camera CLA'd.

[link]

[link]

The development looks great on the last few examples.

Here is one more example shot out of a Yashica D and Kodak 400 Tmax.

[link]

I picked up the roll that this photo came from with the same rolls as the top two Rolleiflex examples.

So, my questions are:

Is this an issue with my Rolleiflex?

Is this an issue with uneven development?

Thanks for your time,

Jon Damaschke

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
OK to me the streaks look like scanning artifact.

Before I went to an Epson V500 I was using an Epson perfection 4180 and after some time the lights in the lid that are used to illuminate the negative dulled a bit and would leave scan lines EXACTLY like these.

If your not scanning the negs then it will not be this but if you are just have a look at the illumination.

The Epson V500 does not have this problem as it used a different set up and the illumination lights move with the scanning head.
jonniedee Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hey Mark,

I'm actually scanning these with the V500. When looking at the negatives, lit from the back, there is a definite difference in brightness which I am calling "streaks."
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
OK I just realized mine is a V600 so it may be different in some ways.

If you can see a difference with your eyes then you have found your problem
:iconphydeau:
phydeau Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This one [link] looks almost like the film/negative was warped. Have you looked into the possibility of the film being the problem?
I never thought about that. The film is Kodak 400 Tmax and doesn't expire until march of 2015.
:iconphydeau:
phydeau Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The scientist in me would lean toward testing to find the source of the problem. I'd do two things: 1) Have the film from your Rolleiflex developed at other places and see if the same problem occurs. If it does, then the problem is likely with your camera. 2) Have film from other cameras developed at your normal place. If the same problem occurs, the problem is likely with the lab.
The same issue happened with film out of my Yashica D. It was Kodak 400 Tmax and was given back to me with the same rolls from my Rolleiflex. That is what leads me to believe that it was a problem with the lab.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
Sorry, missed that part. That would lead me to believe the same thing. There's nothing you can do about it now. I'd just go to another film lab.
I'm going to try another lab and see if my results turn out better. Hopefully that turns out to be the issue and my cameras are ok.
:iconregularjane:
regularjane Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I used to work in a busy photolab and when films showed signs of fogging/light leaks it was normally due to the film not being properly loaded in the processor. Even by not slamming the door to the processor hard enough caused these sporadic light leaks to occur and as they were so slight it was easy for us (the lab) not to have to accept responsibility...I mostly used to load 35mm and 120 films into the processor and the 120s were the worse as they had to go into a separate loader container and were particularly fiddly. I am (definitely) not an expert but I would guess that the problem occurred with the lab.
Add a Comment: