Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 1, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Nikon Coolpix P510 or Canon Powershot SX40 HS?

:iconmashytaytew:
MashyTaytew Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Helloo, people well-versed in cameras.

I'm looking into getting a cheapish bridge camera and these two seem pretty much equal in terms of what I need- my dad knows a couple of people who both have one and they've both said really good things. They're both around an equal price, seem to be pretty good in low light (which was why I upped my budget, all the ones under £200 seemed to be pretty terrible in that regard).

Any advice'd be appreciated, thanks :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondesperatoe:
Desperatoe Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree with ExiledSeraph6, the Canon SX40 would be a better choice because it's a more balanced camera. With bridge cameras, you're going to have to sacrifice some image quality to get that extra reach with the lens because the longer barrels are going to require more light to reach the sensor. The Nikon P510's 42x zoom is tempting indeed, but you have to ask yourself how often you'll really need that extra length. Also, from what I've read (because I was in this same predicament at one point), the Canon SX40 has slightly better color quality and a longer battery life.
:iconexiledseraph6:
ExiledSeraph6 Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Neither are gonna be great in low-light, but better than <$200 cameras. The Canon SX40 has a hot-shoe for if you decide to add a flash later (the pop-ups will only reach 7-10 feet). Other than that, it may depend on what you plan on shooting.
Add a Comment: