Details

Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Great Watermark Quote

:iconrcooper102:
Framed Network posted this on their facebook page this morning. I thought it was something that applies to a lot of people on DA. :)

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
That's a great quote. I know the work I did last year looks weak to me now and I know that next year, this year's work will look weak as well. I'm just hoping I can get it figured out before senility sets in. Luckily there are no watermarks with my name on anything so I still have pausible deniability.
:iconsnoopdogg5:
"I think that many people want to write, but of them few have the will to. I write more than half the things I do or say or think. I can see the words on the sheet of paper and see the pen writing them. And in my head a voice, a kind of silent reading voice, reads them not from but to the paper. Often what is read is good. There is a quick sureness about some phrases. At times they come too patly, with a smart-aleck tone. But I don't write. I write a few letters, which grow less interesting as I age. But that is all. It is because I am lazy, and that is true of most of the people who think in prose. Laziness and a vague fear."
:iconanguispoetica:
AnguisPoetica Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Good quote. I used to do watermarks as a beginner but then discovered that most of the artists I admire--including the professionals--don't have watermarks on their works, even though their works are insanely good. So I had a "whoa who the fuck did I think I was" moment and gave up the whole thing.
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Nov 29, 2012   Photographer
Very interesting quote. I have abstained from watermarking my work, more so for aesthetic reasons rather than anything else. I just haven't found a way to add a watermark that I felt didn't detract from the image. The worst thing to me is when I see a great piece of art ruined by an unsightly bruise of a watermark.
Exactly, I agree 100%, which is why the quote is so true, because most people start with a watermark then realize they hate the look of it and stop using them..

That said, I did find a way to do just what you said, watermark an image without it detracting. I use it on my website (terminalvelocity.ca), if you look at the photos on the site you won't have any idea they are watermarked, but if you download one it will have a small watermark on it. (one that is easily removed, but it at least gives me credit if they don't bother)
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Nov 29, 2012   Photographer
Oh, wow, you must have done a great job with those watermarks because I can't see them on my Thunderbolt Display. Nice work!
Ha, it is impossible to see them, they are hidden unless you download the image :)
:iconfallisphoto:
Good quote. Besides, watermarks are useless. There are utilities all over the internet for removing them.
ha, well it depends how destructive the watermark is. Also, many argue that it isn't to stop that sort of person but more to ensure you get credit when people randomly share your photos around the web. That said I agree, they are awful, you will never find one on my images.
:iconfallisphoto:
Well, I think if I put enough time into it, I can remove nearly anything. I've taken out birthmarks, big scars, cellulite, straightened noses and things like that, so a watermark isn't really that much of a challenge. Just takes time.
Add a Comment: