Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Snowboard photography?

:iconstefanocatalano:
StefanoCatalano Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Photographer
I'm a photographer who also happens to love snowboarding.
I remember two years ago my friend and I tried taking pictures of each other going off a ramp, and we were just being really careful not to fall with the camera and didn't end up taking a lot of pictures, nor were they any good.

But now I'm thinking of trying it again.
I'm confident enough to know I won't fall often, and when I do, it's usually a controlled fall.
And my photography skills are definitely better than two years ago.

The bottom line is: I want to do photography on the slopes more efficiently. Anybody got any tips or tricks to help me (or anybody else interested reading this)?

Please and thank you. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Photographer
Im going to be taking my camera gear up with me when I go snowboarding. a bit sketchy carrying 5,000$ worth of equipment in a bag on my back.
StefanoCatalano Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Photographer
I hear you there! But like the other person who commented on this forum, you should carry your equipment on your chest, so that if you fall you can break your fall with your hands and keep them safe.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
For shooting yourself doing tricks use a camera designed to take abuse like a GoPro, trying to do tricks while wielding a DSLR is not only dangerous but will ensure you can never push the envelope.

For shooting your friends doing tricks a DSLR with fast telephoto lens is ideal. Try to avoid shooting when the sun is brightest if possible and be mindful of backgrounds as you need the boarder to have separation.

To freeze motion you will want a very quick shutter speed. (unless you get really good and can pan your lens at the exact same speed they are moving, in which case they will be razor sharp and the background will have a motion blur, very hard to do though)
StefanoCatalano Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Photographer
Yeah, sure wasn't planning on doing stunts with my DSLR. Too risky!
But I don't quite understand when you said "be mindful of the background as you need the boarder to have separation". And thanks! :)
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Basically when shooting the image you need your subject (the snow boarder) to be obviously separated from the background. For example compare shooting a boarder with a blue sky background to a cluttered one filled with trees. Basically you want to the boarder to very obviously stand out, whether it is by shooting them against a background that they contrast heavily with or by shooting them with a very narrow depth of field so that the background is out of focus and thus blurry.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Exactly that! ^^ And you can get chest bags for a camera... Falling back you're likely to go on to a pack and crush what ever is in it, falling forwards you're likely to go in to break fall on your forearms keeping your head (and chest) up ;)
Oh, yeah! That's something I haven't thought of before! Thanks!
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Photographer
Wide angle lens, good autofocus, fast shutter speed and shoot in burst mode. A good circular polariser often helps. Remember to overexpose the snow by a stop or two. Drink after you get the shot. ;)
Ah, yes! I forgot about polarizers! Thanks for the tip!
Add a Comment: