Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Film Cleaner?

:iconrliggett:
RLiggett Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Photographer
Not sure what i used in school. But stuff I sprayed on film and whiped with a special tissue. just got a film scanner and want to prep my film that way before scanning to clean dust and stuff off the film. Any suggestions would help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Load it on a reel and run warm (not hot) water on it for an hour or two. Finish up with a couple of dips in distilled water. That's pretty much the only really safe way to do it. Emulsions are soft and wiping film with anything at all can scratch it. All it takes is one tiny bit of grit. The special tissues were probably Kimwipes; the manufacturer says Kimwipes can be used on film, but knowlegable photographers never use them for film. My photography teacher would drop you a grade if he saw you doing that. We only used them for cleaning gear.
Makes sense. It was what the school provided.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
If you wash the film and finish up with distilled water, there will be no spots when it dries, so there is no need to wipe the film. Just let it dry naturally. Yeah, school teaches you to do all kinds of things that pros won't do. Amber lights, RC paper, wiping film, 5-minute print washes ...
:iconrecoat:
Recoat Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Compressed air works. Just make sure you're not getting a chemical sprayer like what you would use to clean keyboards.
Yeah i would never do that. lol. Compressed air makes sense. thanks
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Compressed air from a compresser works; the stuff from a spray can can ruin film. There is rusty water in the bottom of the can and the propellent can cause freeze damage.
:iconrecoat:
Recoat Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Good point. I've only used it for throw away negatives that I scan at home.
Add a Comment: