Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Tripod help for a mountaineer with a Canon 7d and Sigma 150-500mm lens

:iconjamesrushforth:
JamesRushforth Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Photographer
As the subject says. Currently looking for a lightweight tripod that can properly support a Canon 7D with the Sigma 150-500mm lens. I do a lot of climbing and mountaineering so the weight is important. At the cheap end I've looked at the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fibre Tripod. At the more expensive end the Gitzo GT3531 Series 3 Mountaineer Tripod.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Obviously I'm looking to spend as little as possible whilst been realistic.

I'm willing to buy second hand if anyone knows any good websites / is selling something suitable.

Thanks for your time!

James

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconseaspryte:
SeaSpryte Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I would recommend you check out the site "Stuck in Customs" (stuckincustoms.com). It is a site run by professional photographer Trey Ratcliff. On the site go to the tab "Stuff you need". He has quite a few good recommendations - and some fabulous HDR photos that you might enjoy.
JamesRushforth Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012   Photographer
Thanks very much, again some great reading.
:iconseaspryte:
SeaSpryte Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You're welcome.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I use the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 when traveling by air as it just fits into my suitcase. However, my heaviest lens is only about half the weight of the Sigma 150-500. Since you will be mountaineering, wind is a considerable factor to consider. Although it is easy to carry and folds up nicely, I think you might want something a little heavier and stronger than that particular Manfrotto. Right now I think some of the best bang for the buck in carbon fiber is with some of the Chinese brands (there are several that seem pretty good). With those you should be able to find something that is closer to the strength of a Gitzo, but closer to the price of a Manfrotto.
JamesRushforth Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Photographer
Thanks for the reply. Can you remember any of the Chinese brand makes?
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Benro, Induro, Sirui, and Oben are ones that I can think of available here in the states that seem to be favorably reviewed.
JamesRushforth Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Photographer
Brilliant, thanks.
:iconanvh:
Anvh Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Is a monopod not a good idea?
JamesRushforth Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Photographer
It would be expect my work often requires stitching together many crag shots etc. Is hard to get them to match up as well with a mono.
:iconanvh:
Anvh Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Yeah that wont work so well although from my own experience with panorama it can work though.
But a tripod is much better indeed, get a carbon one those are light.

You don't need a gimball head though per se for the sigma, the lens is big but not super heavy. A three way head are often also quite stable, a ballhead would probably be problematic though.
Add a Comment: