Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Capturing Reflective Objects Help?

:iconallyalltheway:
allyalltheway Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The object in question: a very reflective (as in it mirrors everything) golden apple :la:

I can't think of any way to take a good picture with my apple. Because it just reflects the whole room I'm in and also me. And I don't have anywhere that looks good. And it's usually lazy days I decide to take pictures :giggle: so I look kinda like... like I just woke up...

I seriously wanna take a picture of it or else my apple is USELESS because I bought it because it looks cool... I like random strange things... The apple is suppose to be a "modern" house decor! and then theres me. buying it just because.

So any ideas? even just for any reflective object in general!?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmitchlynn:
mitchlynn Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If you wanted to combat the reflection then I'd say pop out and borrow or buy yourself a circular polarising filter to control the reflection.

Alternatively as everyone has mentioned previously, finding surroundings that compliment it is probably going to offer the most dramatic effect though a polarising filter would offer you the ability to control the reflections from the surface and saturation of colours in the fruit.
allyalltheway Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
oh I see, thank you! =D
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Photographer
what are you trying to ask here? you want to minimize or get rid of the reflectiveness?
itd be pretty hard to get rid of all the reflectiveness but i guess im trying to say how do i make the reflectiveness a good thing
ok I see. well I was kinda thinking about it. you could enclose the object in a solid environment to remove a lot of reflection.

but if you want to make a cool reflection....hmmm well I suppose that raises a lot of options, just have to think of them now. The first thing that comes to mind, for me at least, would be to hang up christmas lights around you so they would reflect on the object, assuming you have something like that.

or you could try to use a long shutter speed to capture movement in the reflection...somehow...

I have no idea hahah, I'm just spit ballin ideas... maybe something I'm saying will give you a better idea...
ooh i like that light idea! and christmas is coming up too! =D thanks. now ill just have to figure out a way for all this to work... :plotting:
lol, yeah that is the hard part. to me it is the fun part though! I've done a couple photos where it seems like I'm just doing Arts and Crafts for about an hour or two first.

well glad I could help a little bit at least. haha :)
:hug: thanks for the help!
:iconforevercty:
foreverCTY Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm. The first step I think that will help is put it somewhere that's near a wall, like on a side table or a mantlepiece. This will keep most of the predominant reflections around the objects in the scene. Something else if you've got the time is to literally build a small set around your object so that it's got a controlled set of reflections, with the camera and the bigger environment only a sliver in the reflection. On top of that you could get a large piece of black paper and cut a small hole for the lens, hiding the reflections behind the camera and also allowing you to show off some specular highlights on the apple over the reflections

Another thing you could do is shoot it outside, in a field of grass or a pile of leaves. You could actually do a lot of cool stuff mixing this very golden, pristine, pure apple with the imperfect dusty and gritty surrounding of nature. See if even you could find a field of apples. One golden in a bunch of real one's might make for an interesting shot.

I hope that made sense!
thats a good idea! thank you!
Add a Comment: