November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Thinking about new iMac for photography

:iconkonradmasternak:
konradmasternak Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Hi Members!

Im thinking about new iMac for photography, what do you think about this new screen with 75% less reflecion, ips and all this stuff what they are talking about?

Just write what do you think, i know they arent available yet...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Retina displays on iMacs and Apple laptops are some of the best screens on the market right now. Just gonna throw that out there.

You're a brave man, coming to DA looking for a sensible opinion regarding apple products.
:icondrunkcowboy69:
DRunkCoWBoy69 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
To be perfect honestly, Deviantart is not the best place to go for computer advice, Ive been building computers for 11 years and I see so much wrong information posted here as well as opinion based information presented as facts. I would ask elsewhere if you want computer advice. An apple monitor with IPS sounds like its going to be way to expensive. IPS panel is the way to go though if your looking for a monitor for photography. 75% less reflection is stupid by the way, an IPS panel has no reflection, just to let you know how much you would be getting ripped off.
:iconphoenix-enigma:
phoenix-enigma Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I'm not particularly inclined to recommend Apple products for the most part - they have become more and more a mobile device company dabbling in other markets, and as they've done so they've become more and more willing to ignore their more professional users (see: FCP, Xserve, Mac Pro, Aperture, etc). Their not a company I would want to hitch my wagon to for that reason.

I'm also not inclined to recommend all-in-one computers. They're basically the worst parts of both desktop (not portable, no battery backup) and laptop (not expandable, limited power). If I want something low profile, I'd sooner have a laptop I can take with me. If that's not a constraint, I'd sooner have the expandability and muscle of a proper tower - the price of the 27" iMac is getting you into socket 2011 territory, and that's a much better platform for serious workstations.
:icondavierm:
Davierm Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As a happy user of the iThinks and the photographer can only recommend this option. In addition, Apple if nothing else, has a great display ;)
:iconnajhaikezeh:
NaJHaikezeH Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist
Apple, eewww
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
I don't like Macs. I HATE them. They are the reason Windows is destroying Windows. The ONLY reason I have a Mac is because the screens are better. I would edit a photo on my PC perfectly. Then I would run across it on a Mac and I would find so many flaws... I never had the reverse problem. (The only flaw was in my backdrop work, Macs would pick up a discoloration on the whites and only the whites from the shadows cast on the backdrop that would be washed out on my PC screen to look perfect. I'm sure there is a PC screen out there that would do the same, but I don't have the resources to have found one.) That's why I bought a Mac. You can get that with their current Macs, or even an old one. But if you just want a computer to edit photos at the basic level, a cheap PC is a much, much cheaper, and smarter choice.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Photographer
Have you tried the Nec Multisync monitors? they're a bit pricy, but they're supposed to be worth the money.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
My old man bought one about 3 months ago and he hasn't stopped going on about how vivid and clear the display is under most lighting conditions throughout the day! Making me quiet jealous that I have to make do with a relatively cheap Samsung wide-screen!
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Currently looking at one, well reading as many practical reviews as I can... before making a purchase i'd like to see on up and running though!
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Photographer
Not a fan of Apple and their highly closed, overpriced system.
Add a Comment: