November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Thinking about new iMac for photography

:iconkonradmasternak:
konradmasternak Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Hi Members!

Im thinking about new iMac for photography, what do you think about this new screen with 75% less reflecion, ips and all this stuff what they are talking about?

Just write what do you think, i know they arent available yet...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Retina displays on iMacs and Apple laptops are some of the best screens on the market right now. Just gonna throw that out there.

You're a brave man, coming to DA looking for a sensible opinion regarding apple products.
:icondrunkcowboy69:
DRunkCoWBoy69 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
To be perfect honestly, Deviantart is not the best place to go for computer advice, Ive been building computers for 11 years and I see so much wrong information posted here as well as opinion based information presented as facts. I would ask elsewhere if you want computer advice. An apple monitor with IPS sounds like its going to be way to expensive. IPS panel is the way to go though if your looking for a monitor for photography. 75% less reflection is stupid by the way, an IPS panel has no reflection, just to let you know how much you would be getting ripped off.
:iconphoenix-enigma:
phoenix-enigma Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I'm not particularly inclined to recommend Apple products for the most part - they have become more and more a mobile device company dabbling in other markets, and as they've done so they've become more and more willing to ignore their more professional users (see: FCP, Xserve, Mac Pro, Aperture, etc). Their not a company I would want to hitch my wagon to for that reason.

I'm also not inclined to recommend all-in-one computers. They're basically the worst parts of both desktop (not portable, no battery backup) and laptop (not expandable, limited power). If I want something low profile, I'd sooner have a laptop I can take with me. If that's not a constraint, I'd sooner have the expandability and muscle of a proper tower - the price of the 27" iMac is getting you into socket 2011 territory, and that's a much better platform for serious workstations.
:icondavierm:
Davierm Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As a happy user of the iThinks and the photographer can only recommend this option. In addition, Apple if nothing else, has a great display ;)
:iconnajhaikezeh:
NaJHaikezeH Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist
Apple, eewww
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
I don't like Macs. I HATE them. They are the reason Windows is destroying Windows. The ONLY reason I have a Mac is because the screens are better. I would edit a photo on my PC perfectly. Then I would run across it on a Mac and I would find so many flaws... I never had the reverse problem. (The only flaw was in my backdrop work, Macs would pick up a discoloration on the whites and only the whites from the shadows cast on the backdrop that would be washed out on my PC screen to look perfect. I'm sure there is a PC screen out there that would do the same, but I don't have the resources to have found one.) That's why I bought a Mac. You can get that with their current Macs, or even an old one. But if you just want a computer to edit photos at the basic level, a cheap PC is a much, much cheaper, and smarter choice.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
Have you tried the Nec Multisync monitors? they're a bit pricy, but they're supposed to be worth the money.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
My old man bought one about 3 months ago and he hasn't stopped going on about how vivid and clear the display is under most lighting conditions throughout the day! Making me quiet jealous that I have to make do with a relatively cheap Samsung wide-screen!
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Currently looking at one, well reading as many practical reviews as I can... before making a purchase i'd like to see on up and running though!
Not a fan of Apple and their highly closed, overpriced system.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I have an old iMac that was bought as present aout 4 years ago, it's pretty good but I am not buying another when it goes down. A bit naughty but I built my own Hackintosh box with a load of off the shelf components. My excuse for liking OSX is that I work as a database/Unix systems admin, you come home from 8 hours in front of text screens and you need something that doesn't tax my tired old noggin too much!
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
They are extremely overpriced with little to no choice. But some people like not having to think about their computer. Macs are great for that.. making choices for you. PCs are great for more advanced users... but that's changing quickly. XP was the last good PC OS in my opinion, 7 isn't bad, but 8 is just plain destructive. Macs aren't coming out with bizarre and moronic operating systems.
7 is actually the best OS Microsoft has put forth so far. It's much lighter on resources, and easier on the eyes, among other things. Haven't tried 8 yet, so can't comment on it, but Microsoft aren't stupid, they're daring, but not stupid, they learn from their mistakes. If it's not well received, they'll quickly fix that with 9.
Mac...no leeway there whatsoever, I don't like being stuck with the same hardware, with little choice. And their software selection isn't great either. Apple as a company relies a lot on people buying their products cause it's the IN thing to do, otherwise, they wouldn't have as much customers.
:iconlatin-geek:
Latin-Geek Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you think Win7 is light on resources and easy on the eyes, you should definitely absolutely try out, or even just outright buy 8. It consumes about half as much RAM and processing power on idle compared to 7, and the Metro UI (ahem, "Modern") is very nice to look at, and very streamlined when it comes to doing start menu related stuff.
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Photographer
Like I said, I haven't tried 8 yet, so didn't comment on it. It's great to see that it's quite good though. I'm getting a Samsung Ativ Pro tab in a few month's time, which comes loaded with Win8, if I like it there, I'll definitely buy it for the desktop.

I've tried every Windows out there since 3.11 (except Win8 obviously), and other than Win ME, every version was better in every way than the previous version. So I'm quite confident in Microsoft.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
it doesn't matter what computer you use.

reflection doesn't matter in a dark room.

IPS panels are irrelevant 99.9% of the time.

go take some more pictures.
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
It does really, a slow computer = slow work flow...
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you don't need to buy a brand new imac to get a computer fast enough for photo work. imacs aren't even that fast in the grand scheme of computing.
Like I said, it depends on your work flow...

An i7 imac is going to export several hundred RAW files pretty damn quick compared to a lower spec'd processor machine, as it simply comes down to processing power. I depends what you want to do... Editing one shot will not require a top line machine, editing a shoot that has hundreds, if not thousands of images will require higher performance if you want them in minutes rather than many many hours!

Many photographer head down the mac route as the screens are top quality for editing.

That said, you can buy a similarly spec'd PC for about half the cost, but some see having an Apple machine a must have...
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I've heard this argument for years and it always boils down to, "I'm too impatient to wait for a few minutes so I'd rather spend tons of money unnecessarily"

"many many hours!"

this is hilarious. what are you doing, processing 10,000 shots from a medium format camera? what a completely unrealistic scenario.
Not at all, when it comes to money and deadlines, time is everything... This isn't a case of being impatient, this is reality. Clients simply don't want to wait, it's just how it is...

So you're telling me 500 RAW files at 25mb each will take a few minutes to output? You have no idea what you're talking about, this literally takes my current PC hours to do, and this is down time as I can't do anything else on it while it outputs.

Maybe one day you'll grow up enough to work, and understand just how much you need that time...
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
did you actually just insult me?

bye.
konradmasternak Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
im shooting more than you can imagine... ;) anyway i dont have dark room... there is window near me and less reflective sounds good for me
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
then put up a curtain. $10 at most. this isn't rocket science.
:iconanvh:
Anvh Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
less reflective sound good, now they are almost like a mirror :(
Any news about the colour space or will they still be sRGB?
konradmasternak Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
i dont know anything about sRGB, im wainting for any photographer review ;) but this antireflection coat would be perfect for me :)
:iconanvh:
Anvh Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
They always have given the matt screen option for the MBP but never for the iMac, i don't understand why so many design bureaus and the like are falling for them.
The reflective screen makes your eyes tired and you've problems seeing the screen sometimes so they just aren't that great for that...

I doubt that Apple is going to take the professional desktop market serious, just look at the MacPro any news and updates are long overdue and the price...
Apple says: "every iMac display is individually color-calibrated using state-of-the-art spectroradiometers to match color standards recognized around the world." this is about new iMac check this out: [link]

i think it will be perfect :P
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
You will probably still need to regularly calibrate it though.
probably... im afraid about colours on it... but we need to wait for first review ;) ive got time :D
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Oh im sure the colors will be fine, especially on the 27", Apple wants to keep their dominance in the design and photographic fields so they will make sure their big screens are good. I still suggest waiting for a month or two after the launch just so apple can get all the kinks out. First product runs are always risky.
yes, im going to wait for example half year ;) and i will do it...
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I need a new machine for editing, i'm stuck for what route to go down :\
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Photographer
I haven't heard about that new screen actually. Sounds pretty cool, I use a mac and a screen with 75% less reflection would be amazing. I'll have to check it out.
Add a Comment: