Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

What do you think of my studio light setup for beginning pro portraits?

:iconpiggah:
piggah Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Photographer
I'm trying to get more serious about portraits as a source of income. I have a good bit of studio equipment that most of is is definitely entry level but from what I've seen so far out of it, i think I can squeek by. I'd be willing to make a few additions if it would help. Anyway, this is everything I have so far to work with.

One 300W strobe, not any particular known name I don't think.
Three 160W impact strobes
one 32x32 softbox
two 24x32 softboxes
one 16x48 softbox
bowens gridspots 10, 20, 30, 40 degrees and the reflector
barn doors
stands for all of those and a not-so-sturdy boom stand that needs sandbagged.
wireless triggers
I think a 32" but maybe slightly bigger 5 in 1 circular reflector. a 24" also
I have a few in each of ~18x24 inch white reflectors and black go-betweens
I have a posing stool and table from impact

I have a grey, blue and red muslin 6x8 ft backdrops. I have some colored gels to fit my barndoors but I should probably get additional colors. I think I need more in the way of backdrops. I have a portable background stand but sometimes I just prefer to gaffer tape it to the walls for contours.

I have a seiko L-358 I believe light meter.
I have one umbrella with silver inside.
I have a 430ex II speed light too if I needed it.

i think that's about everything. So that's what I have to start with. What areas do you think I should focus on improving most? how well do you think this will work for me to begin taking pro portraits?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
You have enough for a main light, a fill light, a background light and a hair light. Personally, I'd get two white umbrellas, because the rule of thumb is that white is for people and silver is for objects, and that you shouldn't mix lighting (main and fill), but that is not a hard and fast rule. That should do to start.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Id suggest getting a few apple boxes, very cheap, and VERY useful

As for backdrops just go grab yourself a 10 foot white seamless, then using gels you can blast whatever color light you want at it to make it look any way you want.
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
That’s a good deal of kit, and should allow you to do just about anything. The only thing I can think of that might also be useful for you would be a couple of sheets of 4' x 8' foamcore, which you can score down the middle to make V-flats, and a bag full of A-clamps.

Oh, and the brand of light meter is Sekonic. I used to have one of those.
Add a Comment: