Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 650D?

:iconstorms-and-lightning:
storms-and-lightning Nov 22, 2012  Student General Artist
I've gone through the specifications for both cameras, and both are looking equally good. The Canon has better image quality, but it's touchscreen. I'm iffy with touchscreens since they tend to get dirty quite easily. The Nikon is slightly lighter.

My family and I are looking into getting a DSLR camera for general use, usually for sightseeing. I'm leaning towards the Nikon D5100 at the moment, but which one should I get?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondevilishchaos:
DevilishChaos Dec 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
buy nikon d5100 its really good and cheap camera dslr, matrix inside its the same like inside nikon d7000...
:iconsamron:
D5100!!! That's what I took this with. :)

Careful though, sometimes the D5100's have dead pixels in them. Mine has one, but I rarely see it appear. It's only every once in a while. Other then that, I love it. Filming, and shooting photoS!
:iconsilentmood:
Why not get a d90 instead? The one major problem I see in getting the D5100 is the legacy support or lens compatibility, that itself is a major setback because you're gonna limit yourself on those expensive lenses because the body you're getting doesn't have any motor in it.
storms-and-lightning Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
That's true, but the D5100 was on a major special when we got it. :)
:iconworldsworstphotograp:
No offense meant storms, but if you have to ask, it's usually either one ;P.

I haven't shot with a touchscreen. (Well, aside from my phone, but still...)

I would imagine it may get in the way more than helps, because shooting with SLRS that have
more manual controls on the body usually help me shoot faster. For your first camera,
if you still can't pick, I'd recommend the 5100 out of the use you'd get from the articulate
screen ;P.
I used to shoot with my phone camera as well (until my sister put it through the wash...), and the touchscreen was a little fiddly. The D5100 seems like it's been a great choice so far. =p
:iconworldsworstphotograp:
Haha awe, that's a really lame way to lose a camera. Good thing it wasn't the real deal :P.

Glad you picked right :P. If you have an iPod you should get Nikon's app, they have some decent info in there for beginners :P.
:icondrunkcowboy69:
DRunkCoWBoy69 Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I have a D5100 as well. Love that camera to death, shoot mostly with a f1.8 35mm prime lens. I would never buy a DSLR without a flip screen after using that camera, it comes in handy way to often, especially cause im short lol.
Haha, from what I've shot so far, it looks like it's been a good choice! :)
:icondrunkcowboy69:
DRunkCoWBoy69 Nov 30, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Good man im glad. You really dont need anything more than that and ill bet you got it for a good price to. I bought mine when it first came out at $900 =/. If you get more into it and start buying accessories like off camera flashes and so forth youll start to understand why Nikon is da shit.
Add a Comment: