Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 84

What's more important to you?

:iconemilyblox:
emilyblox Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes it's me again with another rambling question from deep within my brain. :rofl: This one has been bugging me a lot recently...

What's more important to you, an emotionally brilliant photograph, or a technically brilliant photograph? Or both?!

I keep going from one to the other. On one hand, I keep thinking technically brilliant, because otherwise what's the point of learning photography if you're not going to worry about taking something that's technically great. On the other hand, I wonder if I'd really go back and look at a photo that was just "well taken." I think I'd be more likely to go back to an emotionally brilliant photograph, that I "felt" something when looking at. Then I just argue it out and settle for both in my brain....

So what conclusion do you get when you let your brain argue it out?! :eager:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I believe that to take an emotionally stirring photo, some amount of technique has to be involved.
emilyblox Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Agreed! Thank you for sharing your opinion. Hope you had a fab new year. :w00t:
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Meh, have had better :D
:iconbeautifulphotograph:
BeautifulPhotograph Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Photographer
The emotion that the picture brings out. No matter how good your camera is, you must be able to make the viewer become speechless.
emilyblox Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:nod: Totally agree. You could have the worlds best camera and still not produce something that "connects" with the viewer. Passion is a must. :) Unless of course you're creating commercial or stock images!
:icons2photos:
S2Photos Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm willing to bet my answer fits with most others, but TL;DR. I think its almost like a learning curve. In the beginning, when someone first starts getting into photography, it's all about technique. Ooh let me try keeping the shutter open to blur it! That's fun! But the subject is something so plain as a ball rolling on the floor in their garage. Only after that, when technique and style have been improved, can emotional weight become the main focus. At that point, the photographer should not have to focus on how technically skilled the photo is because it should be second nature to him/her. But in the long run, both are equally important. Even the most emotionally potent photo will look bad with amateur technique.
emilyblox Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Agree with everything you said here :) Thanks for sharing your opinion! :w00t:
:icons2photos:
S2Photos Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You're Welcome :D
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Most technically good photographs are so easy to spot. The most obvious is when people make use of the rule of thirds and most other composition techniques.

To quote Jack Dykinga: "Concentrate on equipment and you’ll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light’s magic colors and your images will stir the soul."
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
... but you have to be able to capture what you see.
Add a Comment: