November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Help plz - 1st time using DSLR

:iconemmil:
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I have Canon Eos 1100D.
So far I still use auto focus. I want to try using the A-dep, TP, AV, M, P, with manual focus but everytime I set the setting to those mode and take a photo I only get black blank result. Anyone know how to use them? Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconforevercty:
foreverCTY Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I learned a lot about operating cameras on digital-photography-school.com. They're a good resource, and they have articles on stuff ranging from theory, gear usage, and post-processing.

In general, make sure that you're exposing properly. I'm a Nikon user, but I'm pretty sure your camera has something the equivalent of an exposure meter inside it's viewfinder. It usually looks like this: <------O------> And has bars around it to show where you're exposed. You'll want to ensure that those bars are lining up to the O in the middle. That's a good start.

One way I've seen people learn is to wade into M mode by jumping into P and A mode. I liked to use A mode when I Started out. this would let me adjust the ISO and the Aperture, but did the shutter for me, so it was one less thing to worry about as I got the hang of changing the different settings. Usually try to keep your ISO between 100 to 400 for most shoots, as this will help reduce noise. I shoot up into the 3200 rarely, but I think I've shot that high only 3 times for a purposed shoot (IE something I was making money off of or intended to show here on dA.)

As for focus, I continue to this day to use autofocus except in rare instances when manual serves better (ie, on my most recent shoot I experimented shooting into the sun for flares, and autofocus would often focus on the flares over my subject.) I think the best way is to build into it slowly, like with any art form.

I hope that's of some help. If you've got any other questions let me know. Always happy to answer. And happy shooting!
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'll check the website. Thanks for the info :)
:iconn-maulina:
N-Maulina Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
simple saja

semakin besar asa/iso, semakin besar cahaya yg diterima
semakin kecil f, semakin sempit depth of field, semakin banyak cahaya yg bisa masuk
semakin cepat shutter speed, semakin sedikit cahaya yang bisa masuk.
tinggal atur2 ketiga itu aja sih. semoga membantu kk :D
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
pk kamera yg sama??
N-Maulina Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
aku pake 550d. tapi semua penggunaan kamera DSLR dasarnya itu, merek apa pun juga
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
ok. Aku dah cek gallerynya kok ga ada fotonya ya? Ga ada yg dipajang di situ kah?
N-Maulina Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
aku cuma bangun brand sebagai ilustrator di dA.
Di DKV ada kuliah fotografi tahun lalu jadi tau
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Oh OK, kl gitu. Thxs buat infonya :D
:iconfudgee0:
Fudgee0 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I remember I was so confused about this too when I first got my DSLR. Try turning your shutter speed down as well as your aperture. Turning up your ISO helps too, but this can sometimes make the picture look more grainy. Balancing these three settings together makes for a good photo. :)
emmil Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah, I think I need to practice more. I was panic because I didn't know that it was normal that a camera can open its diaphragm for more than just 3 seconds when I use the manual mode.
Add a Comment: