November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

How to improve?

:iconyenneferx:
Yenneferx Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hello,
I started doing photos short time ago. As i wrote on my profile "I just have a camera". But i want to do as good photos as i can. So i try to read a lot, watch other peoples photos, but... still the effect is not as good as i want. To you have any concrete tips for my? What i do bad, what i can do better?
I see here so many beautiful photos and i want to do so beauty too, but i'm not sure what is the best way to achieve it. Could you help me, please?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjamesanalyst:
To become a professional photographer it take time and experience will on count it. As you mention you are new in this field so you can try for training course or be an assistant for some good photographer or go around you and capture the best moments and emotions and post it . On These post you got so many comment this will surely help and motivate you.
Yenneferx Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Thank you:) Yes, i understand that i need time:) But as everybody i want to do great photos and i want to know what to do to develop myself as fast as possible:) And yes, i found here some help and motivation:))
:iconphotomark:
photomark Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Photography and motion do have a lot of similarity but they are also just as much dissimilar. The main difference is in how each is perceived buy the viewer.

All you can really do is trust your eye and shoot as you see it , a photograph is a representation of a photographers mind and how they see something and the only way to develop a unique style is to shoot as you see it , shoot to please you only cos if you try to please every one else all you will do in run around in circles getting nowhere.

As for Cameras it can depend on what you need and can use , there is nothing wrong with film and for a small investment of well under 600 you could set up with a good 35mm film camera and a scanner to go with it , recommended cameras are Canon AE-1P of witch I use one or there are several very nice cameras made in the 70s from Nikon and Richo and Pentax and I have seen nice examples of these on eBay for less than $100.
If you realy want something that is beautiful ,classic, collectable and just plain sexy then get a Kodak retina 35mm rangefinder cameras from the 40s and 50s , a member on here FallisPhoto is an expert in restoring these cameras and he sells them as fully working models [link]
If you realy want quality then you could go to medium format , I Use a Bronica SQ-Ai 6x6 , you can set up one of these systems now for around $1000 and the quality is better than most digital cameras under $10K
Of course there is a lot more work involved in using film.

Thee are so many digital cameras on the market now I have no idea what would be a good one for you
Yenneferx Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Sometimes what i see and what i get is not the same, like on this photo: In real everything was sparkling, now i have a photo, but with no magic of this scene. And there is a lot of such a situation, i see something, but there is no sign of it on my photo.

I don't think i will change my camera. I use Nikon D70s, and for now it's enought, still with better camera i wouldn't achieve what i want, because i'm not sure how. And the film photography is too expensive for me, not because of the camera, but because of the film, processing.
photomark Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Your eye is far more advanced and sensitive than your camera and will see variations in colour and shade that no camera could ever record without specialized techniques such as HDR.

I dont think changing your camera would realy benefit you greatly as I think the D70 is a fine camera.

Film does have a greater capacity for capturing subtle changes in highlights however it does take some skill and practice to achieve this and the difference from digital is marginal unless you shoot in medium or large format.

Unfortunately I am no expert on digital so I am not to sure what you could do to improve the images or how to tweak your camera for optimum results.
Yenneferx Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:) Maybe sometime i will try to do normal, film photos:) As a child i had a film camera, and it was strange, to know that you can take only 24 photos.
photomark Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nothing wrong with your work , in fact I rather like it :)

Its not all about being technically perfect and there are no rules that can not be broken.

Best tip for you is to just keep shooting how you are and develop your own style , study other peoples work and try to work out how they did that shot.

If you can join a camera club or photography society and then you will get a lot of professional feedback.

Right now if I was you all I would be doing is shooting with my heart and trusting my eye.

Have fun :)
thank you:)
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
As Shurakai-Stock says it will not happen overnight. It's probably not what you want to hear but it's no BS, it's a craft and it takes lots of practice and lots of time. Learning on my own with no outside help apart from books and videos it has taken me roughly 4-5 years, roughly a minimum of 8 hours a week shooting, to finally start to see the pictures I've always wanted to take. Courses and training will help speed it up but it still takes you practising it every day. Even when I have no camera with me I still practice spotting compositions while I'm out and about.

You can't expect anything to magically start getting better. Musicians practice scales to better understand the core components that hold songs together. Photographers practice the understanding and application of the composition and exposure.

Don't just study information about photography's technical details study books and articles on art and design. Photographers and artists seek a common goal of understanding effective composition, the artist has more leeway with what they do and do not include but still we both need to understand what makes someone's jaw drop to the floor.

Always, always, always practice with a purpose. It's very rare to simply go out with a camera and spot the perfect image and take it. It might seem like that's what the professionals do but they've had years of training and practice and they can spot and shoot good images almost on auto-pilot because their ability to see good images where others can't is so well practiced.
I have a bit practise in drawing, and i know that it was a hours of work to see good effect, but there it was easy for me, i attend a course, had a homework and know what i should and need to do. And when i did something bad somebody corrceted me. With photography is harder, i do it on my own, and it's much harder.
"jaw drop to the floor" it's the effect that everybody want but not so easy to achieve:) And i will try to think what i want to achieve when i pracitse, have this purpose:) You are right, i thought aways that's so easy, just go out and do photos, but i see that it don't work like that usually. But i'm not sure how it work;) But i will try to think earlier what i want to do, and then go out with camera:)
Add a Comment: