Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Nighttime Stars

:iconzacharyp99:
zacharyp99 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I was just wondering what settings I should use tonight?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkyle197:
Kyle197 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Photographer
If you want star trails, your best bet is to open your aperture really big, use a low ISO, then take a bunch of 30 second exposures while you keep the camera in one place with a tripod (and something like an intervalometer to be able to take 30 second exposures with a certain time in between for say like three hours on its own).

Then, stack them in a program like StarTrails (which is free!). If you use a high ISO and a long exposure for star trails, you'll end up with a noisy photo.

Good luck!
zacharyp99 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Thanks!
I'm gonna try it tonight, plus that program as well.
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
For best results do an exposure around 3 hours long ,, close up the apperture though or it may not be as sharp as it could be , I would also use ISO 100 to reduce the amount of hot pixels.
:icongunnut51:
Gunnut51 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Zoom or fisheye
zacharyp99 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I don't have a fish-eye lens or adapter.
:iconsilentmood:
silentmood Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist
Use a tripod. Try to aim your camera away from the city and towards where there are less lights(Light pollution will/can ruin your exposure). Use your native ISO (Usually 100 or 200) try to use your sharpest aperture setting (This will depend on your lens. some are f4, some are f16), Use bulb mode + shutter release or a wireless remote, and then calculate what shutter speed you'll need. Good luck!
zacharyp99 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Thanks a lot!
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
My best guess would be an extremely high ISO, open the aperture all the way, and use a really long exposure time
:iconkyle197:
Kyle197 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Photographer
He said he wanted to get star trails in a comment below you. Your recommendation is more along the lines of just a general starry sky photo. If you want star trails, your best bet is to open your aperture really big, use a low ISO, then take a bunch of 30 second exposures while you keep the camera in one place with a tripod (and something like an intervalometer to be able to take 30 second exposures with a certain time in between for say like three hours on its own).

Then, stack them in a program like StarTrails. If he uses the high ISO and a long exposure for star trails, he'll end up getting a very noisy photo.
:icondvergbieter:
Dvergbieter Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
As *silentmood mentioned you should use as low ISO as you possible can with the exposure time you want. If you use high ISO there is a greater chance that more noise will appear in the picture.
Add a Comment: