November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Lens advice on Canon

:icontammyphotography:
TammyPhotography Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hi! :wave:
I am a starting photographer and I want to become a bit more serious with my hobby. I am saving money for a new lens, seeing I only have a standard lens and my nifty fifty Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, I thought it be time to expand my lens collection.
I have a Canon EOS 60D, which I got as birthday gift from my lovely boyfriend.
Now I'm looking for a good all-around lens, seeing I like taking pictures of everything and don't really have a preference (although currently I take a lot of animal photo's).
I heard and seen a lot of good stuff about the Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM.
It has the sharpness and quickness I want when photographing. Plus I could actually save up for this, seeing it is affordable.

Does anybody have any experience with this lens? And would like to share their experience.
Or do you know another great lens that you would recommend. Please leave a comment if you do. Thanks. :aww:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Here's the first thing I would say against the 135, although I'm sure it's a heckuva lens the problem with all-around/general purpose may be the lack of zoom, it's going to rely on you to be the right area to frame the shot, so although you can zoom with your feet, you may miss a good moment being too close or far away. A good zoom in the same range would be the 24-105 F/4L, I've heard the 24-70 is amazing but it's more than twice expensive. Hope this helps, best of luck with your decision!
:iconcoterabeth:
Coterabeth Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Can't go wrong with the 50mm f/1.4 USM. ;)
:iconajuk:
ajuk Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
You don't also have the kit zoom?
:iconstromstoerung:
stromstoerung Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I use the 15-85 IS USM as all-around lens on my 60D and it rocks ;) Bear in mind that the 60D is a crop cam. So a 24-105 would be 38-168 in fact!
:iconjordan-roberts:
Jordan-Roberts Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
Ya I would look at the 24-105mm for an all-around lens. Anything with a wide zoom range will be all around. For a cheaper variant (aka more affordable) try looking at the 28-13mm, similar zoom range and more affordable. Of course the L lens is nice but it's not required because the 60D is a cropped sensor. Some food for thought and a cheaper alternative.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
28-135 is very soft around the edges though.
Jordan-Roberts Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Photographer
It doesnt matter what it is, if money is an issue you have to take what you can get unfortunately.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
true, but the 28-135 is about half the price of the 24-105 and would be worth saving up for twice as long! ;)
Jordan-Roberts Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional Photographer
Edit: It's the 28-135*mm IS USM
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Photographer
For all around, I'd get the 24-105 IS f/4L. the 135 f/2L is a phenomenal lens, but it's mostly for portraiture. Not really an all around lens.

For animal photos though, you might want to think of investing in one of the 70-200s Canon offers, or maybe get a Sigma one.
Add a Comment: