Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Newbie question regarding HDR.

:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Just before I take a bracketed set I half press the button to meter and focus. After that with my finger still pressed half on the button do I turn the autofocus off on the lens then take the photographs?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconleucareth:
Leucareth Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I leave the autofocus on for all my shots, you just have to make sure you either brace yourself and hold very still or better still use a tripod :D
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Use 1 RAW and alter the exposure on that.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Photographer
you could just turn autofocus off before you do all of that?
:icongarytaffinder:
GaryTaffinder Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Autofocus shouldn't refocus for each shot in a autobracket sequence..
I never have a problem with my HDR images from autobracket even if i don't use a tripod.
Photomatix will align the images anyway if you select that option ;)
Hope that helps..
Thanks. Every time I do shots in autobracket mode I turn off the autofocus just incase it tries to refocus between shots.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You generally don't want the focus or exposure readings changing during the bracket so it is best to prevent this in some way. How you do that is camera specific so you might do a google search on exposure bracketing or autobracketing in the Canon 7D. There are plenty of clever people out there who have figured out how to do things optimally for various cameras (beyond what is in the manual).

Contacting pingallery was a good idea. I love her work and have gotten good suggestions from her.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Yes, absolutely shoot your HDR in manual focus. If the focus is slightly different between each image you will get ghosting
Thought so. Just wanted to make sure. Ta. :D
:iconzemimsky:
zemimsky Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think so - i know that some soft blurs are done digitally in the software - this is just my basic logic regarding all photography, though. Maybe ask Pingallery ? [link] she is very much into HDR and her stuff is to die for gorgeous
Thanks for the link. Just sent here a message. :D
Add a Comment: