Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 36

Staying motivated/having drive in photography?

:iconrliggett:
RLiggett Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Photographer
How to stay motivated in photography? Ive gone to school for photo and even got into a gallery and sold. That helped a lot. But know I just lost the drive to shoot. Do I need a break? Or is it something else? I have some ideas to shoot. But when the time comes I never feel like it. Any tips? Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconworldsworstphotograp:
Creative break, it'll come back to you eventually, if you're meant for it Ligget.
RLiggett Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Photographer
Yeah. Guess you're right. The problem is. Ive had a long break. just cant get motivated to get shooting again. lol
Sorry, Liggett**
Alright, I'm challenging you dude. Make a really emotive/creative self portrait. You have one week. Now go! lol
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Photographer
I've typically found there are two reasons that ruin my motivation for photography: lack of confidence, and monotony.

If I shoot the same model too much, or the same style, or process my photos the same way, I find that I get bored with my work. On the flip side, when I'm not feeling confident in my work, I also find excuses not to go out and take photos.

I would identify if a head or heart issue - head in that there are technical issues, or a heart issue in that you're just not interested in what you're shooting or how, and need to turn to new subjects.

As others have already suggested, I'd recommend seeking out different subjects or trying a different genre of photography altogether, I think it'll do wonders.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"I'm not feeling confident in my work, I also find excuses not to go out and take photos."

As I improve and raise the bar on what I will accept this one is a killer, the risk of coming home empty handed or disappointed starts creeping into the back of my mind. If I think the conditions are not going to be just right I won't even bother which is completely the wrong the attitude.
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Photographer
I can absolutely relate to this, and mostly for me it's a time thing. If I can't be outside during the golden hours, I don't even want to go out, or if it's a completely overcast day, I lose interest as well. Because I'm focusing more now on portraiture versus nature photography, I've been able to force myself out there more, but my ego sure does put up a good fight.
RLiggett Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Photographer
these tips help a lot. thanks
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Photographer
Happy to help. =)
:iconimoink:
IMOInk Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Photographer
I've found that the quickest inspiration for me is to find work that I immediately think "Damn...I wish I'd taken that." It gets me motivated to get out there and keep working. I'll spend hours pinning, ripping photos out of magazines, or pouring through books at Barnes and Noble.

You can also find some AMAZING photography documentaries on iTunes and Netflix. One of my faves in particular is on Annie Leibovitz..."Life Through A Lens". REALLY great stuff. Super inspirational.
Add a Comment: