Closed to new replies
November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Nikon D3200 lenses?

:icononttoitsemurha:
OnttoItsemurha Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm hoping to purchase a nikon d3200 sometime before the holidays. It's my first dslr. I was wondering what would be a good lens to buy with it. I love to do zoom shots [link] but I also like to do bigger landscape shots [link] . It's hard to get as wide of a shot on my landscapes but I also can't zoom as much as I'd like for my up close shots. The camera comes with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR lens, but I'd like to get at least one more. What would you guys recommend?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
What is your budget? What is more important to you image quality or versatility?

For landscapes on a DX camera you probably won't get much wider than 18mm unless you want to put down a fair bit of $$ for a fisheye or something like a 12-24 but there are plenty of macro/zoom options. Are you just looking to be able to focus in close to take macro style images like you linked above or do you want a longer focal length so you can also capture subjects at a fair distance?
I have about $1900 to spend on the camera and lenses. I'd prefer good image quality. Would I need two different lenses for my close up vs longer distance shots?
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Ya, a good telephoto won't be able to focus close enough to take detailed macro photos so either you will need another dedicated macro lens or you will need to use extension tubs on the telephoto to make it focus closer. My suggestion for you would be:

D3200 : $600
Tokina 100 F2.8 macro: $500 <- as good or better optics as the Nikon 100mm macro at a lower price.
Nikon 80-200 F2.8 : $1079 <- The best telephoto you will be able to buy for less than $2000

total: $2179 new

If you get the 80-200 used you can probably get one in great shape for between $600 and $900 which brings the total down to right around your price range. (the previous generation of the 80-200 is just as good optically and I see them all the time for around $600 on craigslist). BH has a refurbed one in their used store right now for $529 and you can get it with a protection plan for $80 so if it is faulty they will replace it. [link]

Just one thing to bear in mind with the 80-200mm, it will NOT autofocus on a D3200 because the D3200 does not have a built in autofocus motor. IF this is important to you, other options would be the Sigma 70-300mm OS or the Nikon 18-200mm VRII but they both are much slower lenses which will make shooting things like wildlife a challenge but they do autofocus and their are pretty good optically.
Oh wow, thanks so much for all the help!!
Add a Comment: