Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Any camera suggestions?

:iconnightclawthefury:
NightclawtheFury Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been researching different types of cameras for a shot at photography.. I thought the dA community would be more successful than me. Are there any types of cameras that are of a good quality for a decent price?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjatomlinson:
I have a Cannon SX40 HS. Cheap and AMAZING!
:iconechoj:
There's plenty. Start by reading The Best Camera sticky at the top of the forum, then ask again - with more detail (i.e. what ~phoenix-enigma mentioned).
Yeah, my apologies. Didn't know there was more to this before I blindly asked..
:iconphoenix-enigma:
*sigh*

What do you want to take photos of? Under what conditions? What will you do with them once you take them? What's a decent price to you? Is that a one-time investment, or might you spend more over time? Do you have access to any photographic equipment already? Any brand preferences? Any reason why? Any format preferences? Both for types of camera, and media size? Hell, film or digital??

If you want useful suggestions, you have to give us something to work from!
.. I apologise for not giving a more detailed explanation. It was in a generalised sense, and I have also not delved extremely far into the art of photography, so I wouldn't know to include the extremes. I had only asked about some tips on which type of camera would be good for beginning.

:bulletblack:Scenery shots and people
:bulletblack:Any conditions
:bulletblack:Photoshop for any edits needed, and for dA if wanted
:bulletblack:$50-$200, One time
:bulletblack:I do not
:bulletblack:Any brand that anyone sees fit
:bulletblack:No
:bulletblack:No, and no
:bulletblack: Digital would be better of the two

I apologise again. Please forgive my ignorance. Didn't fully realise there was more than just asking blankly...
:iconphoenix-enigma:
Aha! Now that is starting point!

The price puts you firmly in compact camera territory, which is good to know. The rest sounds like you're looking for something pretty well rounded.

Generally, I'm a fan of Canon compact cameras, at least as far as blanket recommendations go - they don't, and really haven't for some time, make any really terrible cameras. Sony and Panasonic are pretty well regarded, too. With that in mind, I'd suggest a PowerShot SX160 IS if you're looking to get into photography as a hobby, or an ELPH 110 HS or 320 HS if you're looking for happy snapping. The former is both fairly flexible and reasonably priced, while the latter two are more pocketable and more automated, but sport a pleasantly wide lens (good for cramped spaces and landscapes).

Other people can and will make other suggestions, too - it's a competitive market so there are lots of pretty good options - but there's a starting point, at least :)
Yes, and very good it is. Thank you.
Add a Comment: