Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Best Canon Camera Body for Portraits, Weddings, and Concerts?

:iconpiggah:
piggah Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Photographer
I was wondering what everyones opinion on the best canon camera body for shootings poraits and also events such as weddings or concerts. Also, ASP-C or full fame?

And in addition to your opinion of the *very* best, I'd like to know what you think the best for under say $2,000.

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconturnbullkaia:
TurnbullKaia Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
What Canon camera is compatible with the Canon eos 550d DSLR?
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
in what way compatible?
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
No such thing as best.

Only the best for you and THAT is up to you.

Like any BEST CAMERA thread given time EVERY camera ever made will get a mention :)

For me the best camera(s) for doing that sort of work is a 6x6 medium format SLR ,for example I have been using the Bronica SQ series SLRs and the image quality is to die for :) I also like used a 4 x 5 large format.

Yes I did do weddings and every thing else with these cameras
:icondevilishchaos:
DevilishChaos Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
canon 1dx or... nikon :)
:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I won't name off anything explicitly. However for weddings and concerts high ISO/Low noise is VERY important, I'd go with FF and do your research on noise levels. (I said I wouldn't :P) But I've seen the Canon 1Dx do insane levels with very little noise. The 5D Mk ii/iii is great (no experience, but I've seen/heard) as well. Also think about spending money on some lenses that are going to give you a lot of light, probably at LEAST F/2.8 or lower. Hope this helps!
piggah Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Photographer
thanks for the input!

I was thinking about saving some money and going with a couple prime lenses to start out with. i enjoy using them and I've used my 85mm a lot and am pretty comfortable with them. I'll be starting out with regular portraits so hopefully by the time I start on weddings I'll have the money for a faster zoom lens.
The prime lenses I was considering to start with were the 135mm F/2L and the 35mm f/1.4L. I *think* this is a good plan since they appear to be great lenses for portraiture and considering I probably won't need a fast zoom right off the get go. Plus I think they'll make great additions to any lenses I buy in the future. I haven't done much pricing but renting could be a good option too if I found myself in a tight spot where I needed a fast zoom before I owned one.
Also I think I'm pretty settled on the Mk ii for now. Anything more is just a little costly for me right now if I want to have any money for lenses.
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Sure thing!

I think the 135 and 35 would be excellent to start, and especially if you're only doing portraits, the advantage being you're less likely to miss once in a lifetime with portraits, whereas I think a good zoom is important for a wedding due to the fact you may not have the time to zoom on your feet ya know? :D
That camera will be great I can only imagine! One thing though, for weddings, a backup body and even having a second body is a great idea, even if you had two good bodies with the 135 and 35 and just had the lenses on either one you might not even need a zoom, just a thought =) I wish you all the best in your endeavors! :D
piggah Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Photographer
Thanks! I was going to use my Rebel xsi as a backup body. It's not going to perform like a Mark II but I think it could get me out of a tight spot. I'll probably save for another full-frame body though in the future, when I get more serious about weddings.
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Sounds like a good plan! Not the best but would be better than pointing lenses at guests with no body attached :D
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012   Photographer
Full Frame, because whenever I've shot events, weddings, and concerts, I've had to use a high ISO, and a FF sensor will be able to handle that better than a crop sensor.

I believe the new price point on the 5D Mark II can't be beat, so that would be my suggestion. As for glass, the 24-70 2.8L does a fantastic job for weddings and events, and I think it'll make a great addition to the 70-200 you currently have.
Add a Comment: