Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Looking For Some Advice Before I Buy

:iconnorthstar170:
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm just looking to get some advice on two different types of cameras before I invest some money in one. I don't want to pay for something fancy if my needs could be met by a cheaper alternative.
Basically, I've recently gotten into photography and am a photo student currently, but I'm just a beginner. My mom suggested getting a camera for me for Christmas, and when I told her a non fancy DLSR is like 800 dollars with a lens kit, she was a bit disappointed. So I looked into possibly getting a camera from eBay that was a model older, and the person didn't use it much, just selling it to upgrade. Those are like...400-500 dollars. And then I learned about bridge cameras, and I now don't know what to get based on my needs.
In photo class we use Canon EOS's so I'm use to and comfortable with the brand and digital SLRs. As for my needs, well I heard the bridge cameras don't have AS good as DSLRs, and that's something I really want, good quality. Also, I'm use to using the viewfinder since I can't use the camera screen on the cameras we have in class. I also want to be able to use lenses, and I was thinking if I bought a slightly used DSLR now with just the lens it comes with, then I may eventually get different lenses for it later on, but you can't do that with bridge cameras. I could get use to just focusing my picture through the screen even though I'd probably be annoyed by it at first, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality and pros of having removable lenses, but might consider it if a bridge better fits my needs for the price.
I looked at bridge prices new, and if I'm correct, a nice bridge is the equivalent of like a Canon EOS Rebel t2i? In which case, that's like, the same price.
Anyway, could you just give me some direction and advice and what I should invest my money in? Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your help!

P.S.I cringe when I come to the forums looking for advice. I always get so insulted and criticized when I come here. Well, that is, in other dA forums. Maybe the photography forum is nicer. But if I get to much criticism, I'm taking this down. So please, just be helpful here :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Photographer
You're stuck. You're going to want a better and better camera. Just go with an entry level DSLR. Even the most basic of DSLRs is powerful... but if you spend less than $400 (I haven't looked into pricing) you will eventually. Just get a basic DSLR and a basic 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. You don't need to buy the stuff new, but you'll regret it if you don't.
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yeah, I didn't think I was gonna be able to afford a new one just yet. Thanks for the insight!
:iconjatomlinson:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
You don't need a DSLR. Get a cannon SX40 HS and don't even think about the SX41 it's not worth it.
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
True, but...You don't have interchangeable lenses, so if I ever wanted to step it up a notch, I'd have to buy a DSLR, so that kind of was a waste to buy a Powershot...I don't know, I'm still doing research honestly. xD
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Truth is I don't even need interchangeable lenses with this thing, and the lens zoom (not digital) is enormous.
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
And if you wanted to do things such as macro photography?
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Look at some of my Macro photos here on Deviant Art. I love macro photography and I spend a majority of my time taking macro photos. I don't have all of my photos uploaded yet.
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Hm, have you ever done something as small as an insect, out of curiosity?
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Yes. I've taken photos of pieces of nature as small as an insect but I haven't taken any insect photos yet because it's cold here and everything's died off.
Northstar170 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Well, show me once you've taken insect images, because I haven't seen anything that small on your gallery, and I'd like to see. I think macro that is that small is impressive.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: