Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

Who are your photographic influences?

:iconpixie-lee:
Pixie-lee Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
In other words whose work inspires you, or makes you think WOW and why?
I think my favourite and most inspirational photographer is Tim Walker, I love how his work takes you into your subconscious and feeds you whimsical nostalgia. His use of prop and sets is something that also really appeals to me.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconworldsworstphotograp:
Cartier Bresson.
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Photographer
Aside from Jerry Uelsmann, a lot of my photographic influences are actually on DA:
`larafairie `zemotion *EmilySoto ~robinpika
:iconimoink:
IMOInk Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Photographer
Photographers:
Michael Thompson
Vivian Maier (REALLY cool story behind her if you haven't read it...)
Man Ray
Annie Leibovitz
Diane Arbus
Richard Avedon
Edward Steichen
Sally Mann (Probably one of my waaaaay faves)
Joyce Tenneson
HakanPhotography (on DA)

and so many more.

Hope that starts ya out well!! :D
:icontomaszwieja:
tomaszwieja Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
@ pixie-lee: are you familiar with Erwin Olaf? Your mentioning nostalgia, subconscious and the use of props immediately lit a red bulb in my head, because it has Erwin Olaf written all over it. Keep in mind though some of his work is, well, tough. and certainly nsfw. I think you should especially have a look at his series 'grief'. I always found his attention to detail almost insane.

As for me though, I'm fascinated Rene Magritte and his paintings. Been trying to adapt this inspiration to some of my photographs with, well, various results..
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Abstract painters :p
Don't ask for names, I can't remember names :lol:
:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Cathedrals inspire me. You might see a photograph of a cathedral, but being in one is an experience that cannot be replecated in any film or photograph. The sheer size of some of the and the feeling of the place are excellent. If you are in the UK and want to see a good "big" cathedral then I'd recommend you goto the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, it is HUGE. Also if you go there check out the Lady Chapel inside the cathedral, it is smaller but is beautiful.
:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Whups thought you meant what inspires you not who. As for inspiration I like the works of people on here in Deviant Art. Some are hobbyists and produce excellent outstanding work, even though they are just doing it as a hobby.

Users here that inspire me are

eligit (does great city scapes)
[link]

fuzzypiggy (does excellent landscapes)
[link]

Senju-hime (does excellent portraits of herself, young but extremely well talented both camera and photoshop wise)
[link]

Those are just three off the top of my head.
:iconaveragesmalltowngirl:
AverageSmalltownGirl Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No one~ Why? No artist "inspired" me to do Photography. <bold> I </bold> inspired myself to do Photography. I honestly don't look up to any famous artist or famous person in general.

I don't need others to fuel my love for art.
:iconhergashididslash:
HerGashiDidSlash Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Photographer
Nobuyoshi Araki and Daido Moriyama - Their style and view on the world is so fresh, I like tokyo's photography scene
Lauren Peralta - Beautiful self portraits and she sees light
Diane Arbus - Great portraits
Anton Corbijn - Great photographer and cinematographer, his philosophy is inspiring
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
#1 is Troy Paiva of Lostamerica.com. Not only have I followed his work for years and gleaned tidbits of useful things about junkyard car and urban exploration photography from his work, but I have gotten to know him online and he is as nice of a person as he is a good photographer.
Add a Comment: