Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

looking to upgrade camera.

:icontheman99808:
theman99808 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Im looking to upgrade from my nikon d3000 to something a little nicer. I've had my eye on the d5100 or the d90. Im trying to keep the cost under $550 and only buy the body. So any thoughts on which one I should upgrade too?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Photographer
Personal opinion? Save your money. Why? Personal experience. I'm kicking myself right now, because I just bought a new camera. And now I'm looking at another (more expensive) camera with envy. The D3000 isn't a bad camera. If you love photography, and you like shooting digital, you'll end up wanting a full frame camera eventually. I was looking at used 5D Mark II cameras on Amazon for $599... I'm likely going to buy a 5D (Not sure if I'll splurge for the Mark III) within the next 6 months, and I'm upset because I literally just bought a Sony A57. I love my 57, it's an amazing camera, but I need a full frame (I currently have one for work, but I return it to my studio when I'm not working on their projects).
:iconrecoat:
Recoat Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
How does your current camera limit you?
What do you think these new bodies will improve in your images?
What is the status of your lenses?
The lenses that I currently own are 18-200mm 75mm, 3.5g 85mm macro then the standard lens that comes with the camera. Im looking for more control over what im doing, I find my self hitting the max or minimum stops often. let it be the shutter speed, F stop and aperture. Also im looking for a little better resolution, the ability shoot video. More control in short is what im looking for.
:iconestranged89:
Estranged89 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
if you can find a pro-body is better. I have hust purchased a second hand nikon D200 for the cost of 360 euro. The difference from my old Nikon D60 is remarkable. It's useless to stay on the amateur range if you want a ''jump'' in terms of quality. Looking for a good second-hand professional series and you'll be satisfied. You can find for that price. ;)
Thats actually a very good idea. Ill look at Ebay and some of the camera stores around here. Any thoughts on what you think I should look for?
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
KEH has an outstanding reputation for selling used camera equipment. Most of their stuff has a 14-day return policy and 6-month warranty. Also look at the used departments of B&H Photography and Adorama.
theman99808 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Thanks, I will take a look into them.
Estranged89 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional Photographer
If you want a Nikon my advice is: D200, D300, D300s (maybe this is not so affordable like the others).
If you want to switch to canon: 40D, 50D, 1D mark II (a great APSH sensor, more big than APSC but not like the full frame; remain a great camera with a faster shutter, ideal for sport and ''motion shooting'')
If you want a full frame the price grow a little bit, like the nikon d700. The only one that I have find under 800 euros in the Canon 5D mark I. To make photos those cameras are a great solution, because (except the D300s) they don't have the Video function, they're designed and focused only for photography. I tried a canon eos 40D and a new 60D..... I would choose the 40D. And remember, Megapixels are not the most important thing. The 1D mark II (8 Megapixels) works better than the eos 60D or the nikon 5100, or the D90 who have more.
theman99808 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
I have started to look more into the d7000, I've found some used bodies that run from $650-$850 (ebay and some local shops) the ability to have so much control over the camera is great. I guess normally you get what you pay for. Ill just put the new gopro hero3 on the back burner because I've got a trip lined up to visit some national parks in the winter soon.
Estranged89 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Photographer
yeah the D7000 is a good choice. I tried that with the kit 18-105 mm and the 10-20 mm sigma. It work very well; maybe tends to burn a little the highlights... but is a matter of personal taste. I prefer pro level, but the D7000 is the step just before the ''pro range''. So, moneys are well spent. ;) very good choice
Add a Comment: