Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

I don't want to waste my money (Lens Choice?)

:iconnoctesilenti:
NocteSilenti Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
I've posted something similar to this, in a way, and the replies were very helpful.
So I figured I'd try asking something else again on here - since last time it was rewarding.

I'm attending a concert on November 20th. My first ever concert of this likeness. It's Motionless in White and Chelsea Grin; at a bar somewhere in Ohio.
I have VIP tickets to meet MIW- and be present for the sound check.

I feel like this is a big opportunity for me, and I want to bring my camera. The problem is, is that I either need to buy a new lens, or a new camera and lens.
I just want good-quality photos if at all possible.

My camera is a Nikon D90.
The setting (being indoors) is going to be very dark other than stage lights.
Someone recommended to me in the previous post that I get a used 50/1.8 lens (their choice: Tamron 17-50/2.8)
What I want to know is, will that selection perform very well in such a setting? I want to, if possible, produce good quality work.
I'm not about to ask my dad to spend money on me, only to be displeased with the final result. I would hate myself.
I need reassurance. And I'm really sorry if this post is a waste of time; I'm just really nervous and uncertain.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
"The setting (being indoors) is going to be very dark other than stage lights.
Someone recommended to me in the previous post that I get a used 50/1.8 lens"

a 85/90mm f1.8 won't hurt either. They are expensive.

Find a used 50mm lower fstop the better.(they do make 1.2s, 1.4s, and 1.6s, they are more expensive).
:iconplage-photo:
Plage-Photo Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Photographer
First, I have some experience in concert work - I have a *LOT* of experience shooting theater work (I general work as a photographer on 15-20 shows a year). Theater and Concert images have a lot in common when it comes to the lighting situation...

Next, I will be the first to admit, the camera/lens combination is very important to concert work. However, knowing how to shoot in that environment is *far* more important. Experience will produce better images with a cheap camera than a newbie shooting a Nikon D4.

Understanding how to meter and deal with the specific issues of stage lighting are paramount to capturing great images.

Having said that - the D90 is a perfectly good camera for most concert applications. While it may be a generation or two old, it is comparable to the D300 at high ISO and should focus well in that environment.

For a lens, the problem you have is not knowing the exact stage and lighting situation. The 50/1.8 is an outstanding lens, but you are limited to one focal length. I also have a tamron 17-50/2.8 - I use it a lot for theater, very sharp wide open and at all focal lengths. Great for a wide stage shot, but not great if you want a tight portrait of the band members. If I could only bring one of those two lenses, I would go with the Tamron - the zoom is worth the cost of the stop.

I shoot concerts with the 17-50/2.8 and an 80-200/2.8 - I also keep a couple of fast primes in my bag in case the lights are *really* bad - unfortunately, those lenses are likely to be out of your price range.
NocteSilenti Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
This is all a big learning experience for me. Before August (when I bought the tickets), I knew nothing about cameras. Now I'm trying to learn a bunch of stuff.
I really ought to buy a book or two...

The whole limited focal length thing does worry me. Thank you for that input. I probably needed to be reminded about that factor.

Definitely out of my price range. I guess I have to make do with what I can afford.
Then maybe one day I can upgrade, if I'm lucky.

Thank you so much, again. It means a lot that people are even willing to give advice.
:iconplage-photo:
Plage-Photo Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Photographer
More than anything, I hope you don't get discouraged if your images don't come out as well as you hope. If you could create great photos by reading a book or two and buying expensive gear then everyone would be able to create great images. Heck, even in this thread you can see multiple ways to deal with the same situation. There usually isn't a right/wrong answer (although there are often better and less good solutions).

Certainly good gear makes it easier - and it is important to study the subject you are shooting, but there is no substitute for experience. You'll learn far more from the mistakes you make than the images you got right.

Ask questions. Post your images for advice. Keep shooting!
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
If it's an indoor concert I'd definitely go with the 50. More light to the sensor is critical in those situations. The difference between 1.8 and 2.8 makes a difference. Even better if you have 1.4, 1.2 or whatever the Nikon versions are. They would be sharper too.
Do you suppose the AF Nikkor 50mm 5/1.4D would be better than the Tamron? I'm considering it instead.
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I'm not in the Nikon family so I can't help you there, sorry. But I'm pretty sure they are both very good. Others can comment on specifics. :)
Thank you for the help, either way. ^_^
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
The Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is ok but for concert photography I think you will find a 50mm F1.4 more useful. I used to have a D90, they create nice images but do not play nice in low light. The images are pretty much unusable after about ISO 400, max 800. Which means the extra 2 stops of light on the 50mm F1.4 will server you VERY well.

What is your budget though? That really is the most important question. There are a lot of options out there.
NocteSilenti Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm calling this an early Christmas present, so the highest I want to go just to be respectable to my father is probably $600- and even that pushes it.
Thank you so much. I'm still looking at other options: all I know to do is look at the reviews and what not.
Add a Comment: