Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Your Camera

:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Photographer
So, I now teach photography to students, but I've only used a handful of cameras. I've never owned a Canon, and I have only tried a few Nikon (I own 2) but I'm always getting asked by my students: which cameras are good? That question is always answered with so much bias it's disgusting.

So what do I want? I want to know about your camera. The one you use the most. Why do you like it? Is there anything you don't like? The only rule is don't talk about cameras you don't own and be realistic. I'm really only interested in DSLRs but I'm a nerd. SLRs are 90% of my own collection. I'm looking for practical answers for my students based on people who own the camera and actually use it to make art :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcarolinecherry:
CarolineCherry Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Professional Photographer
Canon 1000D and occasionally 20D, 30D and my boyfriend 7D. I've also had a play with the Canon 1100D and I've gotta say, obviously there's better [heaps better!] but the low end Canon's can get you some great results :)
:iconmyrddhin:
Myrddhin Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nikon D50 (DSLR)
I bought this one because it was the biggest camera in the price range that I could afford.
What I like about it:
- Top LCD
- Easy to use
- Price
- Good enough image quality for my purposes
Dislikes:
- Still a bit too small for my hands
- Looking through the viewfinder is like looking through a tunnel

Samsung EX-1 (compact)
I bought this one to use during hikes, vacation and as my everyday camera
- Good enough image quality for my purpose
- Solid feel
:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I use a Nikon L120 entry-level automatic superzoom with a Kiwi Hardware adapter that will allow it to run 62mm filters or camcorder lenses with a 62mm attachment and filters to suit. Quite low-budget, low-tech and crude, but I have produced good-quality images with this setup.

I am looking to upgrade to a bridge camera around Christmas and eventually to a DSLR once I master shooting without automatic features and improve my composition skills.
:iconweiphoto:
weiphoto Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I own two Nikon Camera. The first one I got is Nikon D5000, I got it after my daugther was 6 months and I was frastrated by my point and shoot camera coz it is just not able to capture my daughter fast movement indoors. Then I bought 35mm f1.8G DX on it, and it fulfil my purpose well. Then when my daughter was 2 years old, I feel I need to improve my photography skills so I take a online photography class this April and update my camera to Nikon D700 on Late July (well at that time I don't know D600 will be released. :)) Below are the thoughts about my two camera.

Nikon D5000:
pros: small and light weight, easy to handle ( I have small hands), with 35mm f1.8G lens, it give me great pictures. Image quality is not bad at all. And the price is cheap.

cons: it doesn't have inbody auto focus, so I have to buy the lense that can auto focus, it limits your lens choice. e.g. 50mm f1.8D would be manual focus on D5000. Another big issue is you can't fine tune white balance, you can't adjust K to get your whitle balance. But most of the situation, sunlight mode is enough.

Nikon D700:
pros: great grate low light performance. Image quality is great too. Never regretted I bought it.
Cons: Heavy and big! It is painful to carry it around, but now I seems get used to it. Auto white balance is on the yellow side, not flattering for Asian people. I can't use my 35mm f1.8g on it, since it is DX lens, but I love that lens so much! I bought 50mm f1.4D, well the focus speed is not as fast as 35mm f1.8g.

That's all, I own DSLR only two years, and 1.5 years I bascially have no knowlege about exposure. Yeah I used to use A mode. Just starting this April, when I have my photogrpahy class, I start to use M mode and get to know the basic knowledge of light, exposure, color, and emotions...Well, now I take photography as my love.
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nikon D3100. It has its own drawbacks, but given how I'm taking photography only as hobby an entry-level camera is good enough for me.
:iconzmote:
zmote Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'm using a Canon EOS 500D. The picture quality is amazing. Could be regarded as an entrance to professional photography device, dunno, but it sure as hell can produce very good images. I'm more of a hobby photographer, but I got confused for a professional way to often, must be the device, because I don't have any photography education.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Just a hobbyist but I've been using a Canon 5D MkII for the last 12 months, prior to that I've owned Canon 300D, 450D and 550D.

I ultimate reason for going with a 5DM2 last year was that I dislike digital noise and artifacts, I know they are a fact of life but I like to limit them down as much as I can. When I had the 550D I'd zoom into 150-200% and I hated the lack of detail and noise. The second I started shooting with 5D down at ISO 50 and ISO100 I was blown away by how much cleaner and sharper the images looked. I know the 5DM2 is made for high ISO usage but I'm a slow outdoor shooter so I'm never in any fast moving situations. Shooting purely landscapes I wanted something that could give me much better clarity in deep DoF scenes when needed.

I wanted a camera that could take a beating, heading out into the British countryside full of rain, mud and bugs you need something that's going to keep going as long as you do. While the weather sealing on the 5DM2 is not wonderful it's way better than the mid-ranges I've had before, I once managed to wreck a 450D after water got inside it. I've stood in the pouring rain for an hour with rain splashing all over my 5D and lenses and it's not let me down once. You wipe down and try to keep under cover but it's not always possible, so you need something that can take it.

Love the battery life. Went off on a 4 day shooting trip last year, got there and realised I'd forgotten my damn charger! Only had 2 pairs of batteries for my battery grip, so I wound down all the power saving settings and I think after around 1500 shots I had used about 3/4 of the battery life on just one pair, that includes a lot of 5-10 second early morning exposures too.

I like the easy access to the settings. I often head out before sunrise and you're trying to get the shot right the last thing you need is to be looking at a huge bright back LCD opening up your irises in the dark morning, it can take 30 seconds to re-adjust to the dark scene, that's time wasted not shooting a shot. With the 5D you can simply feel all the controls to adjust ISO, white balance, focus point, etc on top of the camera without even looking at them and without blinding yourself in the dark.

The only thing that always let's the 5DM2 down is the auto-focus, it's absolutely bloody awful. I hardly ever use it unless I have no choice it's the one flaw that let's down a seriously good camera and hopefully something they've corrected in the 5DM3.
:iconqashrul:
qashrul Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
I personally use a 5D Mark III professionally. I have a back up Canon 60D when I need a crop camera when I need a tighter crop while using telephoto lenses or when I need an articulated screen. (Seriously, the articulated screen is quite useful, but I don't think they'll be incorporating it into professional full frame bodies any time soon)

Most of my friends use a 5D Mark III or a 5D Mark II. I love everything about the camera from the 61 focus point, to the awesome low light performance to the really quick 6 fps with a low shutter lag. It's not as insane as the 1DX of course, but the performance is good enough for most people. I do commercial fashion photography, portraits and weddings so 6fps is more than enough.

There's really nothing that I don't like from my camera. Well maybe except that I wished they had an articulated screen. But I can trade that one feature for all the awesome other features from the 5D3.

I have students too and I always tell them it's more about the photographer rather than the camera. But I tell them I personally prefer Canon cameras. If they prefer other brands, so be it.

I also think it's almost impossible to ask a professional photographer which camera they prefer without them being biased one way or another. No camera is perfect and it's always a trade off between one brand/model over another.
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
I have to agree about the screen. When I shoot live events, I use the eye piece, but sometimes you need that low angle shot... on cameras that don't have that screen, you have to use the shotgun method (pointing and hoping you get it right) but with the articulated screen you can nail it. But I do agree, no matter how useful that option is, I doubt we'll see it on a flagship camera any time soon. Internet trolls will bash a pro camera with an articulated screen and that will hurt sales, especially when you already sell so few of your high end cameras.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Digital - Nikon over Canon in my opinion but there isn't that big of a difference.
Film - Pentax > Vivitar > the rest
Add a Comment: