Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Photography is Expensive!

:iconwildsidesky:
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student Photographer
A little less than a year ago, I had a friend ask me a question I'm still pondering.
As photographers, many of us spend quite a large sum of money on equipment, what with the 3000$ cameras, and the 2000$ lenses to go with them. Then there's the lights, the flashes, the time devoted, etc.

But why? Why do we sacrifice so much for photography?
Just a thought.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkeepitoriginal:
KeepItOriginal Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Well its not that expensive compared to some other hobbys, for exampel cars, airsoft or overclocking, but i guess everything depends on what level you takes it to. Photography equipment is also a investment though you can sell alot of it to a good price. And i can promise you that most jobs require some super expensive equipment.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
It can get very expensive, if you take it beyond a doodling-to-while-away-the-time level. We're not just talking about a #2 pencil and a sheet of typing paper at that point. You'd have sets of drawing pencils, lead holders, mechanical pencils in specific thicknesses, woodless pencils, artist's stumps, kneaded erasers, soft plastic erasers, art gum erasers, special sharpeners, sandpaper blocks for shaping pencil points, rulers, compases, and templates, pads of artist's paper for rough sketches, bristol board pads for finished product, cans of fixative spray to prevent smudging, and so on.
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Photographer
I would think you cant compare hobbies to eachother.
For instance,
A full frame camera,
Plus a set of prime lenses,
Plus a set of telephoto lenses (One of Sony's high end lenses is 13,000 usd)
With creative lenses like fisheye and wide angle.
Plus lights.
Plus external flashes.
Plus studio space.
Plus expenses of traveling for photography reasons.

I would think that'd add up to a lot more than airsoft.
But my real question is why do people invest so much in capturing a fraction of a second
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I'm a professional musician, and have spent quite a huge load of money to get some decent gear. Then I got into photography, and you'd have to do a similar investment to reach that same level. And that's excluding the cost of training and education if you do that.
Most art forms are expensive. Even if you do pencil drawings, you have to spend a lot of time on it. Time equals money after you turn 18. :D
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
"Even if you do pencil drawings, you have to spend a lot of time on it."

And money. Ever priced real artist's drawing supplies? [link] [link] [link] [link] [link]
I agree!
My first trumpet was about as much as my first camera.
But why invest so much on arts?
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
If you're gonna make a living of it you may need to be prepared to do almost anything. Then you need the gear to cover all those areas.
so it's in preparation to make a living? we spend money so that we can make a living? or do we spend money to make more money to spend it on photography equipment?
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Unless you are talking about crayons, no form of art is cheap. I need to do art and this happens to be one I am good at.
Why do you need to do art?
Add a Comment: