Link

Statistics

Replies: 31

Lens vs body

:iconmreverythings:
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student
GAHHHH so many camera options to choose from. its confusing MEEEEEEEEEEE

one questions though:
which one controls more of how the final photograph will look like? the Lens or the Body?
like, say i bought one camera body and 15 different lens for every situation i could possibly encounter - would do well in all of them or does the body, like the lens, work best when trying to acheive certain types of shots?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconqashrul:
qashrul Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Photographer
Both is important. But generally if you could only spend on lens or body and could only pick one, I'd pick lens. But that also depends on what you use it for. If you're shooting under bright light and still subjects, invest more in lenses instead. (Since you won't really utilise more expensive bodies) If you're shooting fast paced events with subjects that move a lot under really bad/low lighting conditions get a good body. (Because you'll utilise the higher fps, better noise control at higher ISO etc) The lens or body doesn't really control the photograph, it's the photographer. (Quite cliche to say it now, but it's damn true)
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student
thanks a lot for the tip! :D
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
This to me harks back to the age old obsession with camera kit rather over technique.

Both the body and the lens play an equal part in ensuring the correct image quality when the appropriate combination is selected for the subject at hand. Even if you bought the most expensive body and lenses available then simply expected them to work for any subject you'd still end up with poor shots if you don't understand how to apply them.

The real skill in producing good images comes from the understanding of the correct application of the kit to achieve a particular type of shot. Plenty of top notch photographers out there could probably use a $50 film camera to whip the arse of someone with $10k bag of the latest digital kit because they know exactly what's needed to attain result they seek. That's not to say that buying a really good bag of kit is pointless, just to say there comes a point where it starts to make less difference how good the kit is and starts becoming an issue about how good the photographer's skill is at working with the kit.
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student
thanks a lot for that thoughtful tip!
:iconjoshuastolarz:
JoshuaStolarz Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
Full Frame cameras are best in low light situations, or situations where you need the widest angle of view that you can get. Crop sensors perform well in portrait situations or macro work. As has already been stated by a few here already, the lens will affect the clarity and overall quality of the image more than the camera itself. Some cameras will allow you to get the exposure properly more easily, but for the most part clarity is determined by the glass.
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student
thank you for the tip!
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Photographer
:iconfallisphoto: got it right. If you want the best possible combination for each photographic situation, you'd need several bodies tailored at different tasks, while also having many different lenses, each made specifically for that situation. So yeah, for wanting the best of everything, and you shoot everything, 15 isn't far fetched, in fact, you might find yourself with over 20 lenses. As for bodies, well, a body tailored towards a sport shooter is gonna excel in sport shooting, but it can't beat a body tailored at studio shooting, and vice versa....of course, that's not to forget other equipment you might need...even a good strap is essential if you plan on carrying the camera with you all day long.

That said, unless you're a pixel peeper, have lots of money, or are doing certain type of photography for paid jobs, you can get by with one camera and 2-3 lenses.
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student
thanks so much for the advice!
:iconwildsidesky:
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student Photographer
I'd say the lens. You manipulate your cameras settings to get a proper exposure, but the lens is what determines what you see, be it close or far, with shallow or deep depth of field, etc.
lenses all the way!
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student
thanks for the tip!
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student General Artist
You have 15 lenses yet you are asking this question?
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student
i was exaggerating.... :[
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
What kind of gear you should have depends a lot on what you are planning to do with it. Landscape photographers, portrait photographers, macro photographers, sports photographers and fine art nude photographers often use entirely different cameras, lenses and other gear, tailored toward what they are shooting. If you want the best possible combinations for everything, one camera body and 15 lenses isn't going to do it for you. You'd need at least three camera bodies -- although 15 lenses is pretty close to right. On the other hand, one camera body and two or three lenses would be adequate for most things (not the best, but adequate).
Thank you for the tip! and I was exaggerating when I said 15.... :D
Yeah, but I wasn't. If you want the very best combinations, that's about what it would take, along with several bodies. Seriously.
:icon6x9base13:
6x9base13 Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Are you planning to also buy a very large bag for these 15 lenses?

Decide what you want to shoot and then get equipment that fits.

Personally, my main kit is one full-frame camera body and three lenses (a 24mm f/2.8, a 40mm f/2.0, and a 85mm f/1.4 - of which I'm usually using the 40mm or 85mm). But I also know that 90% of what I shoot is human subjects from a distance of 8-20 feet - so I don't need to carry around any super-long telephotos, special macro lenses, or zooms.

For people who don't always have the chance to stop and change lenses whenever they feel like, one or two zooms can be just the ticket. Especially if aren't inclined to shoot with "fast" apertures to create a narrow depth-of-field.
i probably shouldn't have used that as an example.. i was exaggerating about the 15 lens o-o
thanks for the advice though
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student Photographer
they're definitely both important. but you'll need different types of lenses to get different types of shots. a macro lens cannot take a wide angle landscape shot for example, lol.
thanks for the advice!
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
Both are essential. You can't choose between guitar and strings, they depend on eachother.

If you ask me, I don't think there's any reason to have a ton of lenses for every possible situation. Unless you're into extreme wildlife photography with 800mm lenses and that stuff, you'll have what you need for most situations with a decent wide zoom, a tele zoom and a macro/portrait lens.
I'd rather put the money into a few good ones. Besides, you won't break your back with tons of gear and waste valuable time changing lenses all the time. :)
I only depend on a 50mm and a 10-22mm, but I'm a bit weird.

You can keep lenses for a lifetime, but the body changes every few years.
i was exaggerating when I said 15 lenses but thank you anyway for the advice! :D

and what do you mean I will have to change the body every few years? o_O
i'm already bout to go broke when I buy the camera, nevermind the an extra lens :/
:iconespenstoro:
EspenStoro Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
Well you don't have to, but most do. The evolution of electronics is faster than the evolution in optics, so new cameras come out all the time, yet many people use the lenses they've had for 20 years to this day. That's why it's worth investing in some good ones. Unless you break them, they'll last. :)

Sadly it's expensive to keep up with it all.
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
:nod:
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Professional Photographer
That's such a bad question. It just can't be answered. Both matter equally. Most people can get by with 2-3 lenses.
i was exaggerating when i said 15, i'll only be able to afford one in the end for now...
anyway thanks for the tip.
:iconskankinmike:
SkankinMike Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
I know I get by on three!
Really, they work together. I have only two main lenses and they work perfectly for what I need. 15 is a bit much...
:iconsillyconguru:
sillyconguru Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
"15 is a bit much..."

Now you tell me. ;)
Yeah, Jeez. And here I sit with a whole drawer full...
i know i was exaggerating but does that mean they're both important? cuz based on what i keep hearing, lenses appear to be more diverse and the ones controlling the scene
If you don't know how to use the body correctly (applying the proper settings for each situation) then your lenses will be worthless.

So yes, as I said before, they both work together and are thus both important.

It isn't so much how the camera works for you but how you can work with and manipulate your camera to get the desired effect. Lenses can be nice but with one decent lens you should be fine.
Add a Comment: