Closed to new replies
October 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Head Shot Tips

:iconcrisys1023:
Crisys1023 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Background Info: I'm looking to get into film acting and I'm about to go to school for it. I was an extra on the new Oz movie and I caught the bug. I loved watching the movie be created and the level of precision inspired me.

I've never acted or anything before and I've never had a head shot done and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on junk.

I'd like tips on correct facial looks ( I figure that the photographer would be on that but I'd like to go in with some prior knowledge) , clothing suggestions, so on.

Also,is there anyone in the metro-Detroit, Michigan area that would be willing to do it for free or cheap as a portfolio expanding exercise?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I figured people who take photos would know the most about them.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012
Check out this video by Peter Hurley, he is arguably the top headshot photographer in the business right now. The video is designed to teach photographers but he also talks about how to coach an actor into having great expression which I think might help you. [link]

Also before worrying too much about headshots get into a few acting classes. You only REALLY need headshots once you start auditioning and until you have some acting training I wouldn't suggest auditioning yet.
:iconcrisys1023:
Crisys1023 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Yes, thank you, I'm actually enrolled now but class hasn't started yet for this semester. The school however has many student films auditions and they request headshots for a reference. Even if I don't get a part I want to subject myself to cold reads while I'm learning that way I can be exposed to my fault while learning to correct them. Thank you for the video though, I will have to check that out.

Much appreciated
:iconsvenler:
Svenler Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Professional Photographer
Hire a professional photographer who has experience doing headshots for actors. Yes, you will probably spend a bunch of money, but you get what you pay for.
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Professional Photographer
You get what you pay for. Exactly. A lot of people will settle for cheap work because it's free. If you're not paying them, you're not going to get quality work- and believe me, it shows. Photographers have to pay off equipment, software, studio time, bills, and profit. If you're not paying them, then it's not their job and you shouldn't expect A level work. But, if you really want it for free, try around a high school. Don't be creepy, but there are plenty of 16-18 year old kids with their parents camera who fancy themselves pros and will do it for free.
Add a Comment: