October 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Help with lens choice needed

:iconcristaliaart:
CristaliaART Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello everyone!

I am still an amateur, learning photographer but I am trying to expand further and try new possibilities.
I currently own a Nikon D5000 camera which I love ^^ . But I would like to purchase a new lens, which would enable me to take close-up pictures with very shallow depth of field and as well as for portrait pictures.
My current choices are Nikon 50mm/1.8 , 35mm/1.8 and Nikkor 40mm/2.8 Micro. However, I am very stuck with my choice right now, as I am not sure which lens exactly will fit what I am looking for. What I want in the end, is something like this: [link] But after all the reviews and videos I read and saw, I am just too confused.
Also, perhaps there are any other lenses which I overlooked that can help me with what I want?

Thank you all for the help in advance. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The Nikon 50mm f1.8 G AG-S is a great lens and a real bargain. The other lenses are also very good for the price, but the 50mm will do more to accomplish shallow depth of field. It also is the only one of the three that will be compatible with full frame Nikons if you ever decide to upgrade in that direction. Others to consider are the 60mm f2.8 Micro G, and the 85mm f1.8 G. They are somewhat more expensive, but they will be better at getting a shallow depth of field.
CristaliaART Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
But is there a big difference in taking portrait pictures with 50mm and the 60mm macro? I assume 50mm is more made for portait pictures, but is there actually a big significance? Because I love the 60mm macro due to easy and amazing close-up pictures, but how well would it work with portraits? Is there a reason to purchase 60mm and then 50mm as well? Or would 60mm be sufficient enough?
Sorry for tons of questions, I just have problems deciding. ^^;
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Lenses are compromises. The 60mm macro gives you better close-up ability and on the D5000 it has a field of view equivalent to 90mm on a full-frame which is close to the classic focal distance for portraits. The macro capability makes it more expensive and it is slower (f2.8 vs f1.8). It's a great general purpose lens but for actual macro shooting most people prefer something around 100mm focal length to give you more working distance between camera and subject. The 50 is probably the logical choice for a first prime lens and it is a great performer.
CristaliaART Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This is very helpful. ^^ Thanks a lot! :)
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Photographer
That lens. Get it. For the price, you CANNOT go wrong. I don't own a Nikon, but if I did, that would be my first lens. 50mm is my bread and butter. Mine is a Zeiss f/1.4, which cost my a pretty penny. But seriously, I would shoot on that 1.8 any day. My Zeiss was worth it, every single penny, but for someone who's only an armature that is an EXCELLENT choice.
:iconwildsidesky:
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012  Student Photographer
[link]
go with the 50mil
it's universal.
CristaliaART Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks ^^ That's very helpful.
:iconwildsidesky:
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student Photographer
i love mine x3
:iconliveto-inspire:
liveto-inspire Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012
If it's any help I have the 50mm and adore it - use it all the time! And it's not too pricey either ^_^
CristaliaART Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks. Yes, indeed the price is good. So even if in the end I realise I want something different, this lens can be a good choice to see what I want. :) Do you mainly use it for portraits? Oh, one more question. With this lens, can you focus very close? Like, around a finger-width distance from object.
Add a Comment: