Closed to new replies
October 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

The best way to photograph any type of rodent? Tips please (:

:iconxsensation:
xSensation Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm just curious to know as I find it quite difficult keeping my pet rodents still. I've found that putting food in front of them (cereal and their normal food) keeps them still long enough for me to take a photo but is there any other way?
And I have one table lamp that I use when taking photo's of them, how many table lamps would be recommended? Because when I look at other deviants work their photo's are a lot brighter and you can see every detail in the rodent

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012
Oh, that's easy. The best method was pioneered by James Audobon.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Student Photographer
wait for it to die then it will be very cooperative. IM KIDDING IM KIDDING that was terrible I know.

when I am photography animals or insects I do not try to keep them still. you just have to be extremely patient.

it is your pet so you have the luxury of being able to try whenever you want. just sit with your camera for a period of time every day until you get lucky.
xSensation Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Still got a laugh out of me :L and when I'm trying to photograph my mice they tend to explore and I have to make sure they don't wander too far or they'll escape I'm just trying to find ways to keep them distracted
:iconsjphoto:
sjphoto Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2012  Professional Photographer
Well as far as the "detail" goes, that's dependent on a lot of factors. The number one problem you'll have is your camera. I just looked at your most recent deviation, you're using a point and shoot. That will effect "detail" a lot. Now, getting a better camera won't help you take a better picture though. First off, don't take pictures simply as fast as they will go.

[link]

That picture I will offer some advice from. First off, you're shooting at 1/4000 with one light? You need to slow down your shutter speed. 1/60 is what is generally accepted as "hand held" speeds. You're also using F/3.5. That will only get you a very shallow DOF. Try F/8 or F/12. A lower ISO speed won't hurt either. Learning how and why your camera works will help you take infinitely better pictures. It's not the camera that makes the photographer, it's his/her skill.
xSensation Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
The problem I've got with my camera is that I can't manually slow down or increase my shutter speed so I have to increase or slow down my ISO setting to do this. If I want a fast shutter speed my ISO needs to be on 800 if any higher the image will be blotchy etc. That's what makes it a lot harder for me
Add a Comment: