Closed to new replies
October 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Any Photography Tips?

:iconmiyamiyamya:
MiyaMiyaMya Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I want to improve myself, check out my page to see if I need any improvements. I will submit more. Thank you for your replies ^__^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatomkat:
atomkat Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Well, one advice that I've enjoyed: don't fear shooting portraits on an overcast day. Diffuse lighting is awesome for black and whites. Wish I could upload, but model hasn't concented :)
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
1. landscapes mostly look better kneeling, and sometimes lying down. unless you have a wide angle they rarely look good standing up.

2. unless your shooting close ups, stick to the rule of thirds until you know better. If you are shooting an extremely small subject matter against a very large background, you can make this into the rule of 5ths to potray distance (make sure your subject stands out though).

3. shooting in broad daylight is the easiest, with the least intresting colors. Bracketing is not neccary. Next comes morning/afternoon.

Don't put blind faith in your light meter at twilight or sunrise/set. make sure you bracket, and get separate readings for the ground and sky.

4. Shooting silhouettes against a setting sun is fairly easy, shooting a properly composed subject during a setting sun is hard.

5. Always bracket with time exposures and medium to low light.

6. Broad daylight will have boring colors. Night time, or dark shots, especially longer exposures will bring out the vibrant colors. That sweet spot occurs around 1/4-1/8 second, with ISOs 100-400, this is where you melt your colors into the visceral.(check your film/sensor type, mileage may vary)

6. Get to know your light meter and its limitations. I expect you kids with your fancy schmancy 90%/%10 new fangled 32 point light meters to have it easier. Still, at dawn/dusk your light meter is not to be trusted, and only used as a ball park. Bracket like a motherfucker, and let your intuition tell you what to do.
:iconalucard07:
alucard07 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
AS an experienced hobbyist photographer, this is excellent advice to follow, I myself learned a little from this post, and hope to try some new techniques just from *JackMolotov3
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
There are only four photos in your gallery. From that it is not really possible to spot what may be bad habits or practices. When you have a couple of dozen in there, ask again.
:iconjonniedee:
jonniedee Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's hard to say anything at this point. You only have a handful of images.
:iconjoshuastolarz:
JoshuaStolarz Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Photographer
Learn how to best utilize the gear you already have, instead of thinking that a new piece of gear will fix everything. I've never seen people learn artistic, or photographic skills overnight, just because they got a shiny new piece of gear.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Use your brain, think of what you want to say before taking the photography ;)
:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
For me I find breaking down a big problem into smaller problems easier to work with. I'd recommend you try and learn just one part of the camrea at a time, trying to learn everything or a lot in one go could lead to dissapointment.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
look for photographs on deviant art, and find a style you like, and then try doing it yourself.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Do what you want. Don't ask others what you should do, ask you what you want to do. That includes improvements. Unless you don't know the basics. Once you know the basics though, just find your own way. Everyone here has their own opinions and styles so you probably won't get a solid answer other than keep trying.
Add a Comment: