Closed to new replies
October 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Any Photography Tips?

:iconmiyamiyamya:
MiyaMiyaMya Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I want to improve myself, check out my page to see if I need any improvements. I will submit more. Thank you for your replies ^__^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatomkat:
atomkat Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Well, one advice that I've enjoyed: don't fear shooting portraits on an overcast day. Diffuse lighting is awesome for black and whites. Wish I could upload, but model hasn't concented :)
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
1. landscapes mostly look better kneeling, and sometimes lying down. unless you have a wide angle they rarely look good standing up.

2. unless your shooting close ups, stick to the rule of thirds until you know better. If you are shooting an extremely small subject matter against a very large background, you can make this into the rule of 5ths to potray distance (make sure your subject stands out though).

3. shooting in broad daylight is the easiest, with the least intresting colors. Bracketing is not neccary. Next comes morning/afternoon.

Don't put blind faith in your light meter at twilight or sunrise/set. make sure you bracket, and get separate readings for the ground and sky.

4. Shooting silhouettes against a setting sun is fairly easy, shooting a properly composed subject during a setting sun is hard.

5. Always bracket with time exposures and medium to low light.

6. Broad daylight will have boring colors. Night time, or dark shots, especially longer exposures will bring out the vibrant colors. That sweet spot occurs around 1/4-1/8 second, with ISOs 100-400, this is where you melt your colors into the visceral.(check your film/sensor type, mileage may vary)

6. Get to know your light meter and its limitations. I expect you kids with your fancy schmancy 90%/%10 new fangled 32 point light meters to have it easier. Still, at dawn/dusk your light meter is not to be trusted, and only used as a ball park. Bracket like a motherfucker, and let your intuition tell you what to do.
:iconalucard07:
alucard07 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
AS an experienced hobbyist photographer, this is excellent advice to follow, I myself learned a little from this post, and hope to try some new techniques just from *JackMolotov3
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
There are only four photos in your gallery. From that it is not really possible to spot what may be bad habits or practices. When you have a couple of dozen in there, ask again.
:iconjonniedee:
jonniedee Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's hard to say anything at this point. You only have a handful of images.
:iconjoshuastolarz:
JoshuaStolarz Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Photographer
Learn how to best utilize the gear you already have, instead of thinking that a new piece of gear will fix everything. I've never seen people learn artistic, or photographic skills overnight, just because they got a shiny new piece of gear.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Use your brain, think of what you want to say before taking the photography ;)
:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
For me I find breaking down a big problem into smaller problems easier to work with. I'd recommend you try and learn just one part of the camrea at a time, trying to learn everything or a lot in one go could lead to dissapointment.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
look for photographs on deviant art, and find a style you like, and then try doing it yourself.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Do what you want. Don't ask others what you should do, ask you what you want to do. That includes improvements. Unless you don't know the basics. Once you know the basics though, just find your own way. Everyone here has their own opinions and styles so you probably won't get a solid answer other than keep trying.
:iconphotoloverpp:
photoloverpp Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
1. keep interested in photography and never give up.
2. You'd better find out what you want to photograph most, like macro photography, event photography or else, and then focus on one photography type and try your best to learn knowledge in this aspect. If you focus on so many kinds of photography, I think for a beginner, it's hard to learn well, and could not make you be specialized in one type of photography.
3. buy good photography equipment according to your photography style or type.
4. keep trying and share with others in a photography community, like this forum. You'll get critiques and that's very important and useful to your future photography work.
5. when you have succeeded in a kind of photography, you may try another but keep the former one.

PS: to choose one kind of photography style does not mean saying no to other types of photography, just focus on.

my personal opinion...:D
:iconfacingtheplasticlife:
FacingThePlasticLife Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student General Artist
You just have to keep taking pictures, naturally you'll develop a more refined style after practicing for a while like with everything. As for useful advice that can be used right now, don't put your finger over the lens, not even if your a little tempted to. :P
:iconeagle0eye:
eagle0eye Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You have to try, try and try. every pictures you make you become always better and if you hold your camera right you will see after a bit time you see that te pictures become better. The light is also something very imortant!
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Always practice with a purpose. Don't ever go somewhere and expect something to happen, it very, very rarely will. Read books, magazines, websites for an understanding of composition and application of those camera knobs and dials. Then whenever you're out and about, with or without a camera practice composition, I do it all the time. Just walking to work I keep an eye out for interesting compositions, just to practice, got no camera most of the time and you don't need one. I know what the knobs and and dials do and understand how they affect the images, so I set pretend camera controls in my mind while I'm looking at stuff.

Nothing wrong with copying other people's stuff. How do kids learn? They play Mums and Dads. How do you learn to drive? They never give you car and say, "Of you go on your own, you'll find your own driving style sooner or later!". As skills improve you can more easily pull other peoples images apart and understand how they "work" and that's when you start realising you can do better and you start to understand why and how you can improve and take it in your own direction.

Cameras don't make images, photographers do. The camera is just dumb box with a bit of glass on the front, you have to feed it with good source material if you want it spit out interesting photos. The mechanics of a camera will take about 15 minutes to learn from the manual. Understanding how those controls affect the images, purely on a technical level, will take maybe couple of weeks to a couple of months, to get to a basic standard. Learning good use of composition, how to use the light and subject to the best advantage to produce compelling images will take you a lifetime, that's the really fun bit that keeps you going!
:icondragonfly-oli:
dragonfly-oli Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Just take pictures. You will improve if you think about your works and find the strengths and weaknesses.
And do always remember: Be yourself. Do not try to copy others.
:iconanzachataine:
AnzaChataine Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:) Your last point is very important. If you try so hard to copy others instead of developing your own style (this can be applied to most things in life, really) then you will never grow or improve
:icondragonfly-oli:
dragonfly-oli Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
That's what I meant. :aww:
:iconkenoiya:
Kenoiya Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You want to improve?

Made so much Pictures you can. Try various settings. Play around. With more practice you will learn by yourself, too.
Go to Forums or buy Magazines about Photography. You will learn it with the Years :)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:pointr: Moved this to the Photography forum as it is better suited here. :)
:iconmiyamiyamya:
MiyaMiyaMya Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
oh sorry lol....i just made this account yesterday. I didn't know that they had one.
:iconreluctantzombie:
ReluctantZombie Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Make sure you take the lens cap off!
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
1. Buy expensive camera
3. Profit
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Make sure you're holding the camera the right way around. Classic beginner's error.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012
Yes, the photography forum :iconpalmthroughfaceplz:
Add a Comment: