Closed to new replies
October 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Advice about getting your first DSLR

:iconmreverythings:
MrEverythings Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012  Student General Artist
So recently, i've been getting more and more into photography and am dissatisfied with the extent of my current camera the Canon G12.
Ok, so I did some research on my own to try to figure out from the outside in what I want in a camera and though i've still not grasped the basics (like aperture, focal length and that stuff)I think I've gathered a pretty reasonable list of things I'm looking for in a camera. btw, i'm not planning to buy lenses just yet so this list of abilities extends to the capability of the kit lens too.

Ok, so I shoot mostly nature and people. Oh crap, jut realized thats like everything on earth. I also like to do some experimental photography from time to time. so... yeah

- more control over depth of field
- wide angle (I take more wide shots but also a fairly decent amount of closeups)
- Wide rage of shutter speeds and or aperture (like I said, i don't really have concept of aperture down yet). preferably with the inclusion of bulb mode.
- Higher image quality (mines like 10 megapix)

These are basically the most important (I think) factors, and i'm not asking you to find cameras for me but just give a place where I can start looking, cus' i have absolutely no idea where to begin.
If this list is too ridiculously broad or impossible for an one camera, please respond and I'll give you details or whatever
thanks for reading! any feedback is appreciated

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2012  Student Photographer
Any entry level DSLR from Canon, Nikon or Sony would suit your needs. Just go to the store and see which one you're more comfortable holding, and has better controls for you.
:iconxcetera:
Xcetera Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2012  Professional Photographer
The Canon t2i's are great too :) Or, if you want to go cheaper, find a Rebel XS or XSi on ebay.
:iconpyonkotchi96:
pyonkotchi96 Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I just got the Nikon D3200 and I absolutely love it. I highly recommend it to any beginner. It's an entry level camera, but it sure does offer a lot.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012  Student Photographer
[link] probably the best website for cameras and camera gear out there.

I'm just going to go out there and straight up recommend a specific camera for you. it's a "beginner" level DSLR but it's really nice. there pretty much aren't any bad DSLR cameras anymore if you are buying from nikon or canon.

Nikon D3200 [link]
:iconq2z:
q2z Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012
1. You can get better control over depth of field with fast telephoto lens, 50-85mm f/1.4-2.0 is the best choice for portraits.
2. Wide angle lens have higher distortion level, so human faces would look deformed if you do a closeup.
4. Image quality on modern DSLR's depends on lens you're using in the first place.

So I would recommend to buy cheap DSLR and 2-3 primes for your needs. (50-105mm f/1.4-2.0 for portraits, 20-35mm f/1.4-2.8 for everything, and maybe 14 Samyang/Bower/Rokinon for ultra-wide shots or 90/100mm macro lens)
Xcetera Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012  Professional Photographer
1. More control over depth of field - this is dependent on your lenses f-range. The lower the number (for example, 1.8) the smaller the area of focus (so blurry foregrounds, backgrounds, etc.). Most kit lenses are going to have around the 4.5-18 ish range. (Not 100% sure on that top number, because I never shoot that high, it could be higher.)

2. Wide angle - again, dependent on your lens. Most kit lenses won't be wide angle.

3. All DSLR's are going to have a wide range of shutter speed and aperature (and aperture is dependent on the lens).

4. Megapixels are besides the point. You're not going to find a DSLR with a low image quality.

Just look for a basic starter DSLR. Don't go spending 1500$ on a new camera when you could spend $400-700 on a starter that will suit your needs perfectly. Plus, if you want to get some of the things you're looking for (I'm going to assume low aperature and wide angle), you'll have to buy lenses that do those things. You can find some really cheap lenses that are good for their price, (Like 50mm f/1.8 which runs about $120), so if you have something extra you could always invest in one of those.
:iconq2z:
q2z Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012
2. Most kit lenses are wide angle. In film photography a lens with focal length between 35 and 24mm is considered a wide-angle, less than 24mm is ultra wide-angle. So 18-55mm lens is wide for a digital camera with ASP-C sensor.(18*1.6=28,8mm)
Xcetera Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2012  Professional Photographer
Ah, thanks for the correction :)
Add a Comment: