Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
May 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Most commonly used lens? (+ Opinions on getting 50mm!)

:iconpeppermint-ambi:
peppermint-ambi Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm wondering what lens is generally most commonly used, and what type of photography you use it for?

Also, I want to get a 50mm for my D3100 (I have a 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-200mm), and I'm wondering exactly how versatile it is.
I'm loving the low light capabilities and shallow DOF, but I know I'm gonna have to really adjust to using a fixed focal length lens, plus due to availability I think I'd be getting the non AF-S version, which I'm hoping wouldn't be too much of a drawback.
Also considering the crop factor on my camera body, would it be a better idea to go for a 35mm?
Anyone have any advice for me?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconviator-defessus:
Viator-Defessus Featured By Owner Jun 1, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
For my Canon my primary lens is a 24-105mm f/4L because it's a very nice, light, general use lens. I have a 50mm f/1.8 prime though and I like it, especially for the price. The next lenses I'm looking to get are a 70-200mm f/4L IS USM and a 300mm f/4L IS USM to retire my current telephoto, a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
:iconrebel-bambi:
rebel-bambi Featured By Owner Jun 1, 2012  Professional Photographer
My most used is a 50mm f1.8. Cheap use while I'm waiting for my f1.4
:iconoldagardner:
OldaGardner Featured By Owner May 31, 2012
The Nikon 35mm F1.8 AF-s is a nice inexpensive walk around lens for normal perspective on a crop sensor body. However, if depth of field effects or portraits are more to your liking you would get more out of the 50.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner May 31, 2012  Student Photographer
My most used lens at the time, which is also my walk around lens is my 24-105...I wish to buy a 50mm lens though as a walkaround, as it's much lighter, and seems to be enough for what I need it to.
:iconkgallant:
kgallant Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Professional Photographer
I got a 18-105mm lens with my Nikon, and I find that it is a very well rounded lens for studio and outdoor use. My next purchase will be a 35mm lens I think, for the closer Depth of Field.
:iconmr-java:
Mr-Java Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Student Photographer
Check out the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX. Its a 50mm equivalent lens of DX bodies like the D3100.
:iconcaliphos:
Caliphos Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I greatly enjoy the 50mm I have for my D3100, though my lens is only MF (way cheaper than the AF version that was available at the time). I usually carry my standard 18-55 and 50mm with me, though I've come into the habit of bringing my 55-200mm with me more places (but it feels really big). I would certainly advise getting it; the shots I can get with it are quite different (at times) from when I use other lenses, in a noticeable way.
:iconpeppermint-ambi:
peppermint-ambi Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Haha I have exactly the same situation with the AF-S thing. Do you ever find yourself wishing it had AF-S?
:iconcaliphos:
Caliphos Featured By Owner Jun 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes and no. Yes becaue with the AF-S, I can get a certain amount of clarity that I can't otherwise, but by not having AF-S, it creates a challenge for me to get just the right shot that I want. So I, ultimately, consider it a sort of virtue and a vice.
:iconcaraway:
Caraway Featured By Owner May 29, 2012  Student Photographer
In terms of 50mm versus the 35mm, I would recommend the 50mm. True, the 35mm will give you roughly the same framing as a 50mm on a full-frame, but the 35mm still shows some of the qualities of a wider lens. The Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 is the only option I can think of that you might consider for your camera, and its 40mm and 50mm cousins generally perform better.
Add a Comment: